Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
Hello, so I made an account here because I've been struggling with this problem for the past week or so and my usual strategy of bashing my head against the wall until the wall moves didn't work out.

I am unable to access most sites on the internet, each time getting me either a "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" (Chrome or Edge) or "ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE" (Opera). The sites that I'm unable to access and the ones I'm able to access seem to be random, but I made a short list of the more popular sites I know about and have been repeatedly testing:
Sites I can access regularly: Google and its related services (Gmail, YouTube, Drive, etc.), This site, Hostinger, Yahoo, Spotify
Sites I can't access: Amazon, GitHub, Twitter, Bing, eBay, Walmart, Microsoft, Steam, Canvas, My School's website

I don't know how to fix this, but it has caused me a lot of trouble and any help would be appreciated.

I use a Laptop, and pretty much exclusively use wi-fi, if that's pertinent information.
Computer Specs (if needed):
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200922184650.000000-420
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (15 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO LNVNB161216, ver SDK0J40709 WIN, s/n PF183ZSR
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1, s/n PF183ZSR
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum, @LunarMorning

There's a running joke in the IT world that it's always DNS when it comes to an issue. In this regard, I believe it's true. Have you changed any of the DNS settings on your network connection, e.g. to Google's servers, or are they just the default? As an example, this is what the Google DNS settings would look like:

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Software

Here's what I recommend: left-click on the Windows Start button and type cmd. When the option shows for the Command Prompt app, left-click on Run as administrator to open the dialogue box. Once that's open, enter the following in the window and then hit the Enter key:

ipconfig /release && ipconfig /flushdns && ipconfig /renew

What this will do is release the current IP address, flush the DNS cache, and then renew the IP address. Try going to one of the sites you've had issues with after performing that function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.