1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Access a Specific Site

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Drew42, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drew42

Drew42 Thread Starter

I've searched through the Forum and have tried all the suggestions under similar threads but still no luck. I cannot access this site: http://ato.smartcapital.ca/- it is the login page for a community intranet site. I can access the site easily from any other computer. My service provider has been useless with its support team. I have:

refreshed and completed a firmware update on my DLink wireless router
    Tried it by taking down my Firewall and antivirus- no luck
    Look at the router config to ensure it doesn't filter out this site

Any other suggestions?

Drew42

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Start, Run, CMD

In the command prompt, type: PING ato.smartcapital.ca

Tell us the result.

3. tek guy

tek guy

Try to Lower the MTU of your router. If you have a DSL connection lower it to 1782 or 1472, if cable lower it to 1492.

4. JohnWill

Actually, the maximum MTU size is 1500, so 1782 is out in left field. Generally, the MTU sizes for cable and DSL.

Cable: 1500
    DSL (PPPoE or PPPoA connection): 1492

5. tek guy

tek guy

Sorry John, that is a typographical error. It is supposedly 1472 or 1482.

6. Drew42

Drew42 Thread Starter

Okay. I've tried those two options:

My PING command returns "could not find host ato.smartcapital.ca". I tried it also with ocri.ca and got the same :Could not find host" response. OCRI is the parent site (same server) as the smartcapital site. Both those sites are operating fine if I access them from a different computer.

I also lowered the MTU but that had no impact.

Should I try resetting the router again- (but wont that that just send me to the default config?)

Drew42

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you access those sites from a different computer through this router?

If not, have you tried by connecting your computer directly to the modem (remembering to power cycle the modem when making the switch)?

8. aikaangeles

aikaangeles

have you tried accessing the same site from other computer? yes/no?
    :)

9. aikaangeles

aikaangeles

i think youre able to access the same site from any other computer. Maybe you can try some simple steps first from that scpecific computer before you go on to more complicated steps like enabling activeX and disabling 3rd party browser extension.

10. Silent_Stryder

Silent_Stryder

Try to access the site (smartcapital.ca) using it's IP address (142.46.199.211). If you are able to access the site using the IP address, there is an issue with either your DNS settings or with your ISP's DNS server. Something else to check is to log into you internet router and go to its diagnostics page to see if it can ping smartcapital.ca. If your modem is unable to resolve the domain name, then the ISP is to blame. One option would be to use a different DNS server than the one assigned to you by tour ISP.

11. JohnWill

If you'd like to try replacing your DNS server. Follow the instructions at OpenDNS for Windows and configure to use OpenDNS for your DNS server. See if that makes a difference.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If you can ping 142.46.199.211 and not by the hostname (smartcapital.ca), then it's a DNS issue.

13. Drew42

Drew42 Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Turns out to be a DNS issue that I have resolved by applying the Open DNS addresses. Too bad my service provider's tech support couldn't figure out that their DNS Server might be part of the problem!!

Drew42:)

14. JohnWill

That happens more than you might imagine. I'm sure in a week or two, the ISP DNS servers will work just fine again.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/652554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice