1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't access a XP using Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Murph1717, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Murph1717

Murph1717 Thread Starter

Here is the deal
    * I have a XP professional running Remote desktop
    * under system Remote assistance is checked
    * Network firewall is off

I used to be able to log in to that XP PC but can no longer do that,
    I'm thinking that the number of sessions is locked on the XP PC but can't figure out how to reset it

However I'm not a genius and would appreciate any suggestion(s) or ideas

Thanks

The message I get when I try to acces that PC is :
    The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection. Please try your connection again later. If the problem continues to occur, contact your administrator.

Microsoft Suggested fixes
    Cause: The remote computer might not be set up to accept remote connections.
    Solution: Try connecting to the remote computer at a later time. If you receive the same message, contact the server administrator.
    Cause: The remote computer might already have the maximum number of remote connections it is set up to accept.
    Solution: Try connecting to the remote computer at a later time. If you receive the same message, contact the server administrator.
    Cause: Network problems might be preventing the connection.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Are you able to ping the PC you can't remote assist?

3. Murph1717

Murph1717 Thread Starter

yes I can ping it and tracert it

4. pctech_linux

pctech_linux

I see in your description you say that "* under system Remote assistance is checked ".

For the computer to accept remote connections it is not that check box which needs to be selected, but the one directly under that says "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer".

I know it sounds simple but then again, its something that can be double checked to make sure its enabled.

Also remember that the account your using to connect to the computer must have a password, and if is not part of the administrators group you need to add it by using the "select Remote Users" option on the remote tab of the system properties.

Hope all works out for you, keep us posted.

Peace.

5. Murph1717

Murph1717 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion

I did that and I stll won't let me in.

So do you anything else I can try ??? PLEASE

I was thinking it may have something to do with my personal PC so I tried to RD using another PC and I received the same message "client..."

6. pctech_linux

pctech_linux

Hmm. can you telnet port 3389 (which is default for remote desktop connection)

type this at a command prompt

telnet NAME 3389

substitue NAME for the netbios name of the computer, or type in the IP address of the computer for NAME.

this should let you know if you can establish connections over port 3389.

lemme know the results :)

7. Murph1717

Murph1717 Thread Starter

was on vacation for a couple of days and just tried your suggestion

C:\>telnet MyPC 3389
    Connecting To MyPC...Could not open connection to the host, on port 3389: Connect failed

Hopefully that tells you something and you can tell me how to look and try to fix it

Thanks

8. pctech_linux

pctech_linux

ok try to telnet using direct IP.

telnet IP 3389. If you cannot establish a connection using this method then, i would have to say that port isnt open. Using telnet is a good way to see what services are available on a machine. If RDP is setup correctly on the unit you should be able to telnet to that port without any issue.

9. Murph1717

Murph1717 Thread Starter

Thanks tried the IP and received same message. So what I tried to do was uninstall RDP and reinstall it for XP professional and I can't figure out "How to uninstall it", do u know?

I 'm not the sharpest axe in the shed

Thanks

10. pctech_linux

pctech_linux

Were there any changes made to the machine, software intalls, hardware changes before noticing that you could no longer RDP into this machine?

You seem to have all the right settings, "allow users to connect remotely to this computer", you can ping the IP. I dont believe RDP is something that you just Uninstall, but if RDP isnt working for you and you just want to remotely access the machine, have you considered using VNC, or variants of it such as Tightvnc, or ultravnc?

11. gurutech

gurutech

Check this registry key:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp

Highlight that, and on the right-hand side, there is an entry called "PortNumber". Make sure that is set to 3389. If not, you can change it back to 3389, just make sure when you change it, the radio button is set for "Decimal".

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

13. Murph1717

Murph1717 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked in the registry and the setting was 3389.

The only software that has been installed on the the machine I can't get to has been Microsoft patches

I really do appreciate all suggestion and thank you for responding and hopefully I can resolve it

14. OscarS

OscarS

hi, if you want to solve the remote desktop access differently, I've been using a free software ntrconnect.com. it's simple and worked for remotely accessing my work pc from home.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/505011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice