1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't access archived photos!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by jmbriarhill, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmbriarhill

jmbriarhill Thread Starter

Hi - I'm new to the forum & hope someone can help. I've tried to be clever & got that wrong! Bought an external drive to keep all photos safe, and transferred them across from my pc. They appeared to be fine so I deleted them from the pc, but now I have problems with some - not all of the transferred files. Most are ok & I can view, print, copy etc, but some are not accessible. The message is either 'could not find suitsble graphics importer' or 'cannot read file header'.

I've downloaded IrfanView but it can't read the affected files. The good ones are ok in this & in Picasa.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you copied all the images off the USB onto another source -PC etc - so you at least have a backup of the working images

you could then try a recovery on the USB drive - this program is free for image recovery
    http://www.z-a-recovery.com/digital-image-recovery.htm
    usually on camera cards
    there are other programs free and paid for available we can list - but thats the only one i have used successfully

3. jmbriarhill

Thanks for quick response etaf - I've copied the files from the external drive back to the pc & run the program on the external drive. Where I am now is that it's run the scan & it's copying files across into a new folder. So far so good. It is currently sticking at 1 pic that was showing as corrupted - the pic size so far is 17.4GB (!) others are around 2 MB. Could this be the problem I've been having? The good news is that I'm seeing a thumbnail for this photo - I wasn't on the external drive. Do you know why a pic could take up so much space on a disk when others from the same camera, taken at the same place / time / location etc. are so much less? I'm just going to let the program run through to the end but if others pics are as big as this one, that could take a while!

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes, they can produce huge files - let it finish and see what you are left with

5. jmbriarhill

ok so export process is complete & I now have access to a number of pics I didn't have before, which is great. Problem now is that my c drive is full & hasn't the space to take over all the pics from the external drive. The new directory I created for the purpose is showing some files I still can't see so my next question is whether or not I can create a folder on the external drive - loads of space - & rerun the whole exercise? I don't know if the corruption is to do with the external drive itself, or the pics on it. If that isn't an option, I;m left with having to buy a 2nd external drive.

I'm better off than I was before I started, but there are still some files that I can't access.

Thanks so much for assistance to date - it's appreciated!

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    well the program is running across the harddrive - so that would now try and recover the 2nd folder
    and the driver may be faulty - so I would want to do a chkdsk and perhaps a full format on the drive and test for a while

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice