1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't access Belkin router settings!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pcloser, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcloser

pcloser Thread Starter

Hi there!!

may I just say that I'm not brilliant with pcs but I'm able to follow instructions if they are in the consistency of baby food! XD

Well basically I can't access my wireless modem router's settings (2 in 1 device I believe). I managed it once but haven't been able to do it again. I've tried the following:

-Reset router many times.
    -Turn it on and off many times.
    -reset router while ethernet cable is connected and without.
    -ipconfig/release and renew

notthing works!!! I noticed the ip address changed from the default one of 192.168.2.1 to a completely different one...95.175.138.X

PS. I got windows 7

When I turned on my laptop today after being off overnight (and the router) somehow I did managed to get on the settings page again using 192.168.2.1 but didn't last for long. While I did this there was a warning icon next to the wifi icon, but then when the warning sign went off that's when the router's setting page stoped working again.

So...what next!?! :( I need to get to the router setting because currently is set to go off when i turn off my laptop which is a bit pointless and change a password.

Thank you in advance, and please help!!!it's getting really frustrating now!!!:)

I'm in student halls so I get my internet through cable and the connection is on the wall if that makes sense. So I don't have a separate modem.

2. ETech7

ETech7

How about a model of the device, please?

It looks like it is in bridged mode, that's why you are getting public IP (95.175.138.X) instead of private (192.168.2.X) one when you connect to it.
    So basically it functions just like a modem right now.

3. pcloser

pcloser Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!!! I will need very simple instructions to fix the problem tho XD

model is Belkin F5D7634-4A-H v2 I believe :)

4. ETech7

ETech7

5. pcloser

pcloser Thread Starter

Thank you. any particular section I need to look at?
    I'm in student halls so they won't be able to help me because they only provide cable connection. Having a wireless router is optional so they won't provide support for it.

6. ETech7

ETech7

I'd start from section 2.

This is a modem with wireless/routing feature if you will. Modems usually provided by ISPs. If you are in college, I don't think you should even have an access to such a device. Who is paying for that Internet connection? if it's you - contact ISP, if collage - contact collage IT department. But maybe try manual first.

7. pcloser

pcloser Thread Starter

no I bought the modem/router myself. I just wanted to connect my phone through wireless rather than using 3G that's why i bought it. the internet is included in my rent and it's connected through an ethernet cable from the wall to the laptop. and like I said they won't give us support to set up wireless router/modem. I can't ask uni IT either because I'm in private halls.

I can't use the setup wizard that it came with because the connection that it shows it's different from what I've got.

My set up is as follows:

Ethernet cable from wall to router on the yellow docks at the back where it says wired that's it. My laptop connects to it through wireless.

Also I just manually input an IP address and now I can access the router settings but the wireless doesn't seem to work (wifi icon with warning sign). On the router's settings page it says: Internet status: not connected.

I've tried looking for the setting so the wireless doesn't go off when I turn my laptop off but can't find that so I must be going really wrong somewhere.

The lights that flash green on the router are the security, wireless, wired, and router but not the ADSL, and internet ones.

I'm giving as much detail as I can to find answer so please help if you can :)

8. ETech7

ETech7

You need to change that thing to Ethernet wireless router, not DSL/ADSL. The way it is setup right now - it is not supposed to work. For that thing to have internet connection it has to be connected to DSL line (phone cable into grey port).

9. pcloser

pcloser Thread Starter

that's a problem then because I don't have a phone line in my room....well at least not activated because you have to pay extra for that.

so does this mean this router is useless to me because of my setup? do i need to get something different?

10. ETech7

ETech7

I would recommend getting regular wireless Ethernet router, not a DSL router (all ports on the back are of the same size, one of different color).

With this one you can try to disable DHCP server under LAN settings to make it work as a switch, but this is not a guaranteed solution. Even if it works, you will be on the same subnet with whoever you are renting from, and this is not very smart security-wise.

So yes, simplest, safest, most reliable and scalable solution is to get a regular wireless router. Something like Linksys E3200 or similar. I'd highly recommend finding one that supports 802.11N standard and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios.

11. pcloser

pcloser Thread Starter

Right, i tried what you suggested and then put it back to normal again and now it seems to be working when i turn my laptop off. However, i still can get access to modem setting but I don't really need to anymore.

Thank you for the help. If it plays up again I'll just buy something else :)

12. ETech7

ETech7

Do not enable DHCP server on your router, you will loose Internet connection.

13. pcloser

pcloser Thread Starter

All I did was disable DHCP server in LAN settings (like you suggested) and the enable it again like it was in the first place (on to off, and then off to on). Deleted all the IP stuff I put in and that's it. Everything is working fine now.

14. ETech7

ETech7

Turn it off and leave it like that.

15. pcloser

pcloser Thread Starter

I'm not doing that because then I will lose my internet conection. That's what happened when I tried what you suggested. I'm just gonna leave it as it came. Thanks anyways

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1070307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice