1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't access certain https sites from IE8

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ksp12345, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ksp12345

ksp12345 Thread Starter

My mcafee got corrupted so i had to uninstall. now i can't access certain bank acct websites with https. i upgraded to IE8. I reset all to default security. I added to trusted sites. I deleted history and cache. parts of Mcafee did not uninstall so perhaps they are causing the problem. I was going to install firefox to see if i can access these certain secured sites. Basically, when i hit the login icon, nothing happens in IE8. no errors or hour glass. There is one site, wells fargo that does let me know, strange.

Any ideas?

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    You might want to try running the McAfee removal tool.
    Details here.
    Tool here.

Make sure that you still have one AV program installed on your machine after you've removed McAfee.

3. ksp12345

ksp12345 Thread Starter

Thank you Ent. I used the mcafee removel tool and it removed those dozens of files that the normal uninstall doesn't remove. that did the trick. I called mcafee 3 xs and they never once mentioned this tool on their own website. This also solved some other problems of not being able to run macromedia flash player.

4. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Thanks for the update. Nearly every AV has a removal tool because they are so complex and deliberately hard to kill (to stop viruses from killing them) that a standard uninstall won't do the trick.

If your problem has been resolved, as the original poster you and only you can click the "mark solved" button at the top of the thread. This will alert others with the same issue that a possible fix can be found here. Likewise it will help to ensure that our volunteers focus on issues which still lack a solution instead of possibly wasting time here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972260

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice