1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant access certain web pages

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wontworkforme, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wontworkforme

wontworkforme Thread Starter

Help please
    For some reason I can't seem to access certain web sites. Nothing dodgy, for example certain banks, www.halifax.co.uk or general sites like www.hotmail.com. Or when i called my service provider - BT, they asked me to try www.bt.com, worked fine but then they asked me to go to www.bt.com/gta and it wouldn't access the site.
    I have tried on several laptops, including a new Macbook which I recently purchased. So its not a setting on my computer - although my very annoying service provider kept trying to take me through the same diagnostics. I can get into Yahoo, BBC, Nasdaq, Abbey etc etc, but certain sites nothing happens. Or I get so far on certain sites and then it won't let me any further. It doesn't seem to be anuything to do with the security settings as I can get into my bank account etc no problem. I called my service provider and they had no clue.
    When I type in the URL basically the little green bar starts to tick accross, gets to about 3 bars and then just sits there. After a few minutes it goes to 'The page cannot be displayed'. Via Safari on my Mac same thing, it tries to go to the site - I can see that. For example, if I type in www.hotmail.com it changes the title to the 'http://login.live.com/?id=2 then just hangs.
    As the problem seems to affect all computers that I attach to my router I can only assume the fault lies somewhere there. Its a Belkin Wireless Router and I can see it by typing in the IP address but have no clue what I should be looking for from there.
    Any ideas - I am hoping its something simple!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice