Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't access exchange server or RDP

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  gurutech 
#1 ·
Not sure if I should post this here or in the XP forum, but here goes...

In attempting to fix an issue I had with OREANS32.SYS in my c:\windows\system32\drivers folder on a Win2K3 server, I renamed the file, then created a new 0-byte text file called OREANS32.SYS in the same directory.

Adjusted the pagefile to move it to the D: drive, (which is faster), and upon reboot, I can login to the server, map drives, view an internal website that is hosted on this server, but I can no longer RDP into the server, or open Outlook on my local machine (which connects to this server for Exchange mail).

I have gone back and undone my OREANS32.SYS changes, rebooted, but still getting the same issues.

Any idea what's going on and how to fix it?

#2 ·
OREANS32.SYS on google comes back as an infection, could be one of many... I assume you've already followed this route? If you have an infection, renaming the file isn't going fix the problem...

I'm making the assumption that you're running 2003 SBS if you have everything in one. Are you running enterprise antivirus for your exchange or just a client covering the pc? What errors are in your logs? Can any machines connect to the exchange server?

Check your services, are all necessary exchange services running?

#3 ·
No, I am running Server 2003 SP1, with Exchange 2007 Beta. I checked my services and found that the Exchange Transport service is set to Automatic, but is not started. When I try to start it, I get an error saying something like it can't connect to IP 0.0.0.0:25, and then stops the service again. I checked the event log and it shows a 1018 error (may be 1081, don't remember which, and I don't have access to the server right now).

Also, one thing I noticed was that I can't RDP into the server with the RDP that comes with XP (or the one that comes with Vista), but since I installed the Adminpak.msi from the 2003SP1 CD, I can get into it using the Remote Desktops program.

Questions - since I have the server listening on a different port than 3389 for RDP connections, and I am specifying the correct port # when I try to connect, but I still can't connect, but I can connect through the Remote Desktops program, and I'm not specifying a port # there, so I am assuming it's defaulting to 3389 (and port 3389 doesn't work from RDP.) Does the Remote Desktops progam use different port #'s?

I did a little research on my own, I looked up the event ID, and it's saying that possibly Exchange can't connect to my virtual SMTP server (running through IIS), so I may need to run a "reinstall" of Exchange to fix this....

Any other ideas? A co-worker suggested disabling the firewall, but I don't think that's the problem, as this whole mess started before the Windows firewall was installed. I have since installed it, so I will check these settings when I get a chance, to make sure at least ports 25 and 3389 are open....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.