Cant access ext hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gords

Hi i have a windows vista operating system - cant seem to access my ext h/drive - Seagate. It is only dysplaying in the " control panel under devices" please help

You are in the Mac section. I'll move you.

Have you ever been able to use this drive? When did it start? Have you tried it on another computer? Does it appear in Device Manager/Disk Mnagement? Can you hear or feel it running?

If it apperas in Disk Management, you could try repartitioning and formatting it. Then restore your backup files. But don't trust it completely.

Gords

its is showing under: disk drives- however volume and capacity is blank - it runs for like 45 secs and then stops - i have tried it on other cmputers - and the same thing happens. I have changed the ports as well. In disk management - healthy partition it says -

It sounds like it is dead or dying. If you can't access it on the computer, then you will probably need to remove it from its case and attach it to a computer internally or in an adapter to try to access it. If it is still under warranty nd your backup is fresh, return it for a replacement. Then restore your backup to the new drive.

If the drive has a jack for an external power supply, you could try that, too.

The hard drive in your computer is in one of two states right now. It's
either going to fail or it already failed. Hard drives are inherently
fragile things with no built in redundancy.
-Chris Pirillo

Gords

thanks so mush forur advice - i appreciate it very much - it just that i am out the country and needed to access my files urgerntly- well i have to just wait until i get back home
Many thanks

Sorry about that. You could try Testdisk for file rcovery. But it sounds like the drive is not even spinning properly, so that may be a bad sign.

External drives are very unreliable. Not that the drives themselves are any different from internals, but the externals get knocked and dropped too often. They are very sensitive. If you travel a lot, you might want to consider a solid state external drive. At least then there are no mechanical parts to fail and they can take a lot more abuse.

An SD card may be a good idea, too. You can get them up to 64 GB's and SDXC cards of 128 GB's hold as much as an SSD (solid-state) drive. The SDXC cards read/write speed is much faster than SDHC cards, and they are availabvle in very high capacities, eventually up to 2 TB's.

Testdisk (for Windows)
Testdisk Boot Floppy Image
Testdisk on Live CD

Recuva is another free one that is often recommended. May as well give them a try.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online