1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't access external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by schneid96, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schneid96

schneid96 Thread Starter

I'm running Win98SE...trying to attach a Maxtor external 200 GB hard drive.

I was able to partition the drive, but upon restart I get the error message "a device attached to the system is not functioning."

In "my computer" I can see the F: assigned to this drive, but can't open it. I think it still needs to be formatted, but I can't do that yet because all I get is that error message.

In searching online I find a variety of problems with this error message, but none seem to apply to this situation.

I'm having other software/error messages with this computer--just uninstalled Norton Cleansweep and that fixed some of it--but I'm stuck on the hard drive issue.

Ideas?

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

In My Computer, Right click on it and select "Format".

wrs

3. schneid96

schneid96 Thread Starter

That did it. Thanks. If only all problems were so easily solved.

I'm now going to go change my experience level from "intermediate" to "newbie"...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice