1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't access external hard drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PoppaRyno, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PoppaRyno

PoppaRyno Thread Starter

Every time I plug my western digital hard drive into my pc, it shows up in my task tray as hardware found, but will not show up anywhere else. I have lots of stuff on it and need to figure out what to do. Not sure what happened one day it just stopped showing up. Oh actually it shows up in my disk manager but cant seem to do anything with it from there either. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Renegade2286

Renegade2286

After you connect it go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager and check to see if there are any notifications under disk drives.

3. PoppaRyno

PoppaRyno Thread Starter

I have checked it. It shows up under disk drives now, I researched and used a fix by jonwill. It says its working properly, but still cant access it. Still not showing up in disk management though?

Thanx for any and all help!!!

4. Renegade2286

Renegade2286

I'm assuming it's a usb drive and I know some drives don't work properly when connected to usb ports in the front of your pc is yours connected in the front? If it is try using a back port and see if it makes a difference.

5. PoppaRyno

PoppaRyno Thread Starter

Yes I have it plugged into the backside of my laptop.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you try it on a different computer?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice