Can't access files - get error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

eblackwell

A friend emailed me with this problem with all files under My Documents on her XP machine:

The properties of the files are there, the file names, dates etc. but when you go to open the word files you get this message:

Document name or path is no valid *check file permissions for document or drive *Use file open dialog box to locate the document

When you click on a photo to open you get:

No preview available

You cannot do anything with the files, I tried emailing a photo to my machine but it won't let me, it's like everything is protected somehow and I don't know how to fix it.
I thought that, somehow, she was no longer the owner of these files and told her to check the Security tab under properties and to make sure the box that says "make this folder private" is NOT checked. Her response:

I am the only listed user on the machine. When I go to the folder and click on properties I do not get a security tab. I only get : General, Sharing & Customize. There is no security option in any of those tabs?

I also checked again to see if the private folder was checked, it's not.
I'm not sure what to tell her at this point. Can anyone help?

If she is running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online