1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't access files on Vista from Win 7

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ccdand?, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    Hi, I have a laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and a pc running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have shared the pictures folders on both but cannot access them from either machine. My third pc running Win XP Pro has no problem accessing these shared folders. They can all see each other on the network but whenever I try to access Vista from 7 and vice versa, I receive a message stating access is denied. I have the same user name and password for both of them. Thanks for helping me.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe on each PC a non-Windows firewall or security suite configured to trust only the XP machine?

3. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    No, I'm using Windows Firewall on each machine.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Turn off password protected sharing on the two machines.

5. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    I turned off the password protected sharing on both machines but I still receive an error message that states "is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The remote procedure call failed and did not execute."

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure the following services are Started on both machines (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services).

Computer Browser
    DHCP Client
    DNS Client
    Network Location Awareness
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Server
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    Workstation

7. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    Yes, the services are started on both machines. When I tried to access the laptop (Win 7) from my pc (Vista), I received the following error message:

\\LAPTOP2 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The specified network name is no longer available.

When trying to access the pc from the laptop I receive the following message:

\\AVA is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Well, it still sounds like firewall to me. The "remote procedure call failed" sounded like possibly a service issue so I suggested that first. Looking for info on that error message I see that Microsoft talks about firewalls or VPNs or other security applications here. I wish I had an idea why XP can access both, but they can't access each other.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice