1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CAN'T access files over VPN after Unchecking Use default gateway on remote network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KKLC, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KKLC

KKLC Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I configured my PPTP VPN server on my router. I was able to connect to my home vpn network successfully on my laptop from remote network. After connected to the vpn, I realized that all my traffics pass through my vpn tunnel, which is expected. However, I would like to use local gateway for regular browsing for get a faster speed by unchecking "Use default gateway on remote network" on the VPN adapter settings.

However, here is the issue. If "Use default gateway on remote network" is unchecked, I can't access my files via vpn. When I tried to access my remote private network, it was passed to my local default gateway which DOES NOT know the destination. Is there some kind of routing I can manually add to the adapter or computer to accomplish my need?

I would like to uncheck "Use default gateway on remote network" and still be able to access my remote network over VPN. I use both win 7 and win 8 for vpn clients.

All suggestions are highly appreciated!!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice