Can't access hard drive partition

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

flawless51

When I completely re-did my hard drive, I split it into two partitions; a 50gb C:\ and a 30gb paritition. I don't know how to format or access my 30gb partition or turn it into an actual (letter):\

How can I do this? Do I need a special program?

Thanks,
Phil

JustMe2

Crystal
Xp, right?
Right click on My Computer, and go to Manage. When the window opens, click on Disk Management on your left side. Your partition should be visible there. All you'll need to do is right click on the un-formatted partition (NOT C) and hit format.
JustMe2

flawless51

I tried to go to disk management, but it says "server excution failed", even when my windows firewall is off :(

JustMe2

Crystal
Hi flawless,
It is Windows XP, isn't it?
Have you tried going via control panel to Administrative Tools and then clicking on Computer Management?
That's an error I wasn't so blessed as to receive while working in the computer repair field!:)

flawless51

I just tried it, and I get the same error unfortunately. It still can not "connect to the logical disk management service" :(

and yes, I am using win xp:p

flawless51

I have done all the windows updates that it has asked me to do so far. It looks like I'm gonna have to read through this Windows help and support stuff to get these connectivity problems sorted out. Anyway, at least I know what I have to do to get the rest of my hard drive working. Thanks a lot! :)

awalker0878

Removed by request
Is the partition created?

If not you could use dispart instead:

start/run/cmd/diskpart

list disk
select <disk number>
create partition primary
(y)

flawless51

I'm not sure if its already created, how do I check? I was pretty sure I created it when I was reinstalling windows after I reformatted

awalker0878

Removed by request
run diskpart paste in *these* (not other ones above) comands and provide pic of output

select disk 1
list partition

Go and check your services in administrative tool whether "Logicl Disk Manager" and "Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service" is started. But, by default those services is started after you install win xp. just check through.. or you can try to use partition magic from power quest, but not symantec.

flawless51

I belive partition magic says the partition has been made, but I'm not sure how to use the program for what I want

You need to change your Drive letter or what? if yes, than you can find the partition in partition magic. just right click that partition and choose advance, you should be able to see "change drive letter". But you cant change system volume.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online