1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant access HDD.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mr wolf, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mr wolf

mr wolf Thread Starter

Hi,

A friend of mine asked me to format his pc for him.

The pc has 2 HDD's. I formatted the main one with windows xp, and as I was about to format the second one I was told that it contains documents that he wanted to keep.

I now cant access the second HDD, an old 2Gb one. I have put it into several machines but they wont recognise it.

Could it be because it is formatted for FAT32?

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to access it?

Thanks.

2. norton850

norton850

XP reads FAT32 so that's not the problem. When you try the drive in different systems do you have the jumpers set correctly? Is it not recognized even when you start up or in BIOS?

3. mr wolf

mr wolf Thread Starter

I have the jumpers set to Slave.

I have it recognised in the device manager now, when I click on it, it says the device is working properly, but I still cant see it in windows explorer.

Thanks.

4. norton850

norton850

Probably jumpers are OK but if problem drive is set to slave then master drive needs also to be set to master (yes I know this is obvious :D ). If the drive is presently in an XP system, right click on My Computer and choose Manage and then Disk Management, what is the information given concerning the drive?

5. mr wolf

mr wolf Thread Starter

Master drive has jumpers set to master.

Slave drive isnt showing up in the disk managment window, just c drive and the dvd drive. :(

It is still showing up in device manager under disk drives.

6. norton850

norton850

Sorry no other ideas. If it doesn't show in Disk Management and not in any of the systems you have tried all I can think of is a dead drive.

7. mr wolf

mr wolf Thread Starter

Damn.

Ah well, thanks anyway.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice