1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't access Hotmail!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Technana, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Technana

Technana Thread Starter

Yes I clicked on the link in that message and all it did was take me to a page where I had to set up a Microsoft account. It was just an account page with details for:
    Name
    Address
    Email accounts
    Phone numbers
    Secret answer for p/w reset
    Etc

It had no links or anything to do with connecting Outlook to Hotmail.
    I can use my live.com email but not my Hotmail?
    Too hard basket.
    Because you decided not to bow out I see it's doing your head in too?
    It will be interesting to see what sort of email I am going to get from Tech Support in the next 3 days?

2. Rearden

Rearden Banned

The website www.outlook.com doesn't have anything to do with the program Outlook. Can you click on the link in my post and enter you Hotmail e-mail address and password? If not, what is the error message you get?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You'll owe me if it causes me to lose sleep tonight. :p:eek:

I trust you'll share at least part of it with us. :)

4. Technana

Technana Thread Starter

This is the error message I got when I clicked on your link.

This account can't be used to access Outlook.com
    You're currently signed in with an Office 365 email account, which can't be used with Outlook.com. Please click here to sign out of your Office 365 account, then use another Microsoft account to sign in to Outlook.com (for example, your hotmail.com, live.com, or msn.com account).

5. Technana

Technana Thread Starter

Haha sorry in advance if you loose sleep. I haven't lost sleep but I tell you what, the hours I have spent trying to fix this grrrr! Now I realise I can't fix it because I don't have Outlook and basically that's all it is.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    From what I see, Outlook 365 is a cloud-based version of the office suite. Essentially instead of being on your computer it's online.

I am not sure how it's all tied, but if you did the trial version of outlook 365 then I think that's where the issue lies.

Microsoft Office should not force you to do anything as it's simply a program. You can use Mozilla Thunderbird or (god forbid) Incredimail for email instead of Outlook so I think somewhere down the line the issue is that the account is tied to Outlook online rather than Outlook on your computer and that's where Microsoft will need to fix.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm pretty sure the answer is 'yes' but I'll ask anyhow. When you click on that link in the error message it takes you somewhere strange with no chance to sign out of your alleged Office 365 account?

Do you "admit" to having an Office 365 account?

8. Technana

Technana Thread Starter

What is a Office 365 account?

9. Technana

Technana Thread Starter

Now that you mention it thinking back, I originally downloaded the free trial of Home and Student then I decided to purchase it. Harvey Norman had it on special so I brought it from them but it was only the product key card not a disc. I have just had a look at the packaging it came in and it says on the back that the product key is designed for purchase with a new PC preloaded with Microsoft Office 2010. I have had this on my computer since 2010. I did have some issues with the program last year where it wouldn't load and I had to go into the control panel to Add/Remove programs and repair it in order for it to work. I might ring Microsoft Tech Support tomorrow and see what they say about this. That might explain the 365 account in the error message because it might be recognised as a trial because it was only a product key for a preloaded program on a new PC. Does that make sense to you?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    See James' post # 21 and read more here. I don't know any more than that.

Is your Office Home and Student 2010 working now? That product key you bought should be good (I think).

11. Technana

Technana Thread Starter

Yes it is working and has been since the night I repaired it earlier last year. The product key is legit it came in a Microsoft case and the store I brought it from wouldn't sell bodgie products. I need to ring Microsoft today and talk to them about the 365 account. Oh my god I am going to bed it's 1.34am here in Australia, seems I am the one loosing sleep!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice