1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Access Icons in Control Panel

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by OliverIvan, Jun 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OliverIvan

OliverIvan Thread Starter

Hello All,

This one is driving me nuts. I'm receiving the following error message in all situations listed below. Windows XP Home on HP system.

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

(1) When trying to open Microsoft Office apps from start menu or shortcut's. (mind you I'm able open previously created office doc's that are currently stored in "My Documents" with no problem)
    (2) When trying to open 90% of options listed in the Control Panel eg: Users, System, Folder Options, Add/Rem Programs, so on and so on. (classic view)
    (3) Trying to Install either Spybot S&D and Lavasoft Addware (running the .exe)
    (4) I even tried "RC" on "My Computer" and received this error.
    -- I'm positive I'm going to find more examples, but I'm walking away from the computer for awhile and giving my brain a rest.
    From the bits and pieces I've read so far, I'm guessing this is a registry problem. Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed light on this problem.

Happy Troubleshooting !

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/236704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice