1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't access Internet, Desktop thru wireless laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by crisbastap, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crisbastap

crisbastap Thread Starter

I'm piggybacking on the wireless connection of the hotel next door to my apt. They're fine with that; they gave me a username and password to log on. Problem is, I have to bring my laptop into my bedroom to get the signal, and my desktop is in the living room. So I bought a 50' ethernet cable and connected it from my laptop in the bedroom to a router, which then connects by ethernet cable, to the desktop. When I do this, the LAN connection icon in the taskbar of the laptop thinks for awhile, and then says "this has limited or no connectivity", with a yellow triangle and a black exclamation mark. Furthermore, when I try to get on to the internet from the desktop, it says it can't find the server. I set up a local network between the desktop and the laptop, and I can see my laptop from my desktop and vice versa in "My Network Places" of both computers. I can pass files from one to the other, and can even print from the laptop, through the ethernet cable, to the desktop and then to the printer. If I go to "Workgroups" in "My Network Places", I can even see computers from the hotel, and my neighbor, who also uses the connection from the hotel (I would like to be invisible from them, however). But I am NOT able to access the internet from the desktop, through the laptop, using the wireless connection from the hotel. Why?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/787655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice