1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't access internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by interstate18, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. interstate18

interstate18 Thread Starter

Hi, I have a D-Link DI-604 cable router and after a while my windows apps can't seem to access the ISP. When I first boot up my computer everything works fine. Then as I do other things or I just leave my computer sit for awhile, and then try to access the internet via IE or check email with Outlook they can't connect to the server. Winamp and a few other apps can still access the internet but IE and Outlook cannot. Is there a setting in windows or something I need to change? I'm running WindowsXP SP1.

Thanks.

2. scottosan

scottosan

run a "netstat" command from a DOS prompt once it freezes. If you have a bunch of network connections listed then may may have a virus. From what you are explaining, it sounds like it could possibly be the sobig worm or other worm.

3. interstate18

interstate18 Thread Starter

I updated my virus definitions and scanned my computer (Norton AV 2003) and it didn't find any infections. I looked through the virus definitions list in NAV and the sobig worm was there so I don't think that's it. When I ran netstat from the command prompt it came up with several connections. To be honest, I don't really know what that tells me. Any other ideas as to what could be the problem?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice