Can't access my storage drive

Khrool

I had a Seagate Backup Plus 3TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STDT3000100) for a couple of years. The mini USB connection went bad and I no longer had access to my files. I bought a ORICO Toolfree USB 3.0 to SATA External 3.5 Hard Drive Enclosure Case for 3.5 SATA HDD and SSD[Support UASP and 16TB Drives], ripped open my external hard drive and popped it into the new case. The hard drive does not show up to let me access it, but it is detected. Any help will be appreciated.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200321195400.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Hard Drives: C: 464 GB (65 GB Free); D: 2794 GB (1244 GB Free); F: 2794 GB (475 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 179B, ver KBC Version 42.38, s/n PCWHK001X4NPE4
System: Hewlett-Packard, ver HPQOEM - f, s/n MXL3200W21
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Is the blue power light on? If not, are you using the 12-volt power adapter and are sure its plugged into a known active AC outlet and the power button has been pressed?

I had a Seagate Backup Plus 3TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STDT3000100) for a couple of years. The mini USB connection went bad and I no longer had access to my files. I bought a ORICO Toolfree USB 3.0 to SATA External 3.5 Hard Drive Enclosure Case for 3.5 SATA HDD and SSD[Support UASP and 16TB Drives], ripped open my external hard drive and popped it into the new case. The hard drive does not show up to let me access it, but it is detected. Any help will be appreciated.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200321195400.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Hard Drives: C: 464 GB (65 GB Free); D: 2794 GB (1244 GB Free); F: 2794 GB (475 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 179B, ver KBC Version 42.38, s/n PCWHK001X4NPE4
System: Hewlett-Packard, ver HPQOEM - f, s/n MXL3200W21
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled
For instances like this I would use a hard drive docking station and it's a universal PNP USB connection vs the enclosures built in firmware.

Khrool

Is the blue power light on? If not, are you using the 12-volt power adapter and are sure its plugged into a known active AC outlet and the power button has been pressed?
Yes, the light is on.

Fireflycph

Morten
It appears, here is the screenshot.
View attachment 281341
That is not Disk Management. That's Device Manager.
But as you can see, there is an issue with the device. I don't know if it needs a driver (doubtful) or if there's an issue with the hardware itself.

As bassfisher6522 said, and with which I agree, use a docking station.

I often use a simple Sata to USB converter which has its own power connector. USB does not supply enough power to most hard drives.

Khrool

That is not Disk Management.jpg. That's Device Manager.
But as you can see, there is an issue with the device. I don't know if it needs a driver (doubtful) or if there's an issue with the hardware itself.

As bassfisher6522 said, and with which I agree, use a docking station.

I often use a simple Sata to USB converter which has its own power connector. USB does not supply enough power to most hard drives.
Forgive my ignorance, here is the screenshot. I also went ahead and ordered an Sata to USB converter.

Fireflycph

Morten
Forgive my ignorance
Nothing to forgive. We all make mistakes.

But, if you look at the screenshot it shows a "D" drive with a capacity of 3TB. Is that the drive you're trying to access? Or is it "just" another internal drive? It's hard to tell from the screenshot. It seems like there should be a drive # 2 somewhere. Do you have any other drives in the system? I can't see if there's a scroll option as the Initialize window is in the way. But I think you do as it C, D and F. All with different capacities and amount of free space.

Do not initialize the disk mentioned in the window. I can and generally does remove all data on the disk. Unless it's a Flash drive. It states that the capacity is only 4Gb, so it very well could be. Only you can know what you have.

Maybe try to disconnect everything except C. Boot up and then connect the external drive.

I forgot to ask you. What model HP do you have, Desktop or laptop? If laptop then some things aren't relevant.

Sorry about this message. I'm dealing with two crazy dogs as I try to reply to you. It could easily mean that my message is confusing and utter senseless.

Khrool

But, if you look at the screenshot it shows a "D" drive with a capacity of 3TB. Is that the drive you're trying to access? Or is it "just" another internal drive? It's hard to tell from the screenshot. It seems like there should be a drive # 2 somewhere. Do you have any other drives in the system? I can't see if there's a scroll option as the Initialize window is in the way. But I think you do as it C, D and F. All with different capacities and amount of free space.

Do not initialize the disk mentioned in the window. I can and generally does remove all data on the disk. Unless it's a Flash drive. It states that the capacity is only 4Gb, so it very well could be. Only you can know what you have.

Maybe try to disconnect everything except C. Boot up and then connect the external drive.

I forgot to ask you. What model HP do you have, Desktop or laptop? If laptop then some things aren't relevant.

Sorry about this message. I'm dealing with two crazy dogs as I try to reply to you. It could easily mean that my message is confusing and utter senseless.
Your message is fine. I truly appreciate your help, and as you can tell I need it. Please don't feel a need to rush, I do not need my data yet. The drive you saw showing 4Gb's of storage is my 3TB storage tjhat I can't access. The other two 3TB drives are other external drives I have bought and working on transferring to a 12 TB storage. My laptop is an HP Elitebook 8470p

Your message is fine. I truly appreciate your help, and as you can tell I need it. Please don't feel a need to rush, I do not need my data yet. The drive you saw showing 4Gb's of storage is my 3TB storage tjhat I can't access. The other two 3TB drives are other external drives I have bought and working on transferring to a 12 TB storage. My laptop is an HP Elitebook 8470p.
Thanks again for all you guys are doing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online