Can't Access My Website

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

westone

I'm getting a 404 error when I try to access my website. I have recently uploaded new material to the htdocs where the host requests it is placed.

I'm using FrontPage 2003 and am not that experienced as a webmaster.

I have installed and uninstalled FrontPage extensions many times so that I could use FTP and FrontPage to see if one or the other solved the problem

Everything is in the htdocs file as required, but nothing has worked so far, and even the host tech guys have not been able to suggest anything. They did find at one stage that there was an htdocs file within an htdocs file - but this has been corrected. I downloaded CoffeeCup FTP to have a look and correct that problem.

The only changes since I last uploaded is changing from dialup to broadband. I am using XP and IE 6.

My website is - http://www.2ndjobshopping.com

Hope you can help

Best wishes from cold and wet Manchester UK

westone

Some more information that I just got from the web hosts:

"Please be advised that there are no files in the root of HTDOCS and therefore accessing the domain 2ndjobshopping.com will not work. You must have a file called index or default in the root of the HTDOCS folder (or the root of your web)".

I'm using FrontPage 2003 and there is an Index file and all other pages link to it.

When I put the website in a browser I found that the file for the web is very long - as mentioned I am a beginner at building web sites.

It is: file://D:\Documents and Settings\Les Wortley\My Documents\My Web Sites\work from home\work from home\index.html

How do I shorten this and then make it work when I upload it to my website?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online