1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't access nas drive

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bampot100, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bampot100

bampot100 Thread Starter

Hi
    I have a seagate 2TB Nas drive which I can no longer access from any other device on the network. It shows as a media server in the network under file explorer. Acessing the router (BT smart hub router) shows it as an ethernet connection with an ip address 192.168.1.66. However it shows 0B and 0B as if there is no content. There are 2 folders on the drive but I cannot seem to access them normally. On some occasions they will suddenly appear under file explorer but I cannot access the content but I know the data is still there as I was able to see the used and unused under properties but when I try to access them windows states it can't access the folders or the drive. When I double click the the media server entry in file explorer it opens a web page as a twonky server and this has never happened before!! though nothing happens when i try to acess anything under settings etc!!Have tried resetting the nas drive using the reset button but it doesn't appear to change anything.
    I know I probably ren't explaining this very well but I am at a loss why this has happened and wether i can revert back to normal in some way.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi bampot100 and welcome to TSG.

How is that Nas hard drive connected to your network ?

3. bampot100

bampot100 Thread Starter

Hi
    Its a direct wired adsl cable to the router. when i open fie explorer and choose network it appears under media devices and also storage as seagate 40-F566 but won't allow me to open it under storage

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is a "direct wired adsl cable"??? Are you sure it is not an ethernet connection?

5. bampot100

bampot100 Thread Starter

yes sorry def ethernet .....oops!!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Take this with the proverbial grain of salt, as I know nothing about NAS drives. Based on my experience with other devices I think that the drive has failed. Is it possible to connect it directly to a computer, maybe by USB?

Before doing anything wait for some better advice from Allan or others.

7. bampot100

bampot100 Thread Starter

Hi Terry
    Have tried the direct ethernet connection to laptop but to no avail. I don't think the drive has failed as at one point I could see the 2 folders on the drive and had the overall used and free space on the drive under properties but still can't access the drive seems very odd but think it may have something to do with the ip address allocated to the nas
    Gerry

8. bampot100

bampot100 Thread Starter

Anyone with any ideas?

9. MasterNe0

MasterNe0

have you check the NAS itself, it should have a interface normally with most NAS to see if the files are still there.

Check to see if it needs a firmware update for it.

Have you try rebooting the NAS?

It is possible it could be failing due to a drive which the interface should tell you.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213117

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice