1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Access Networked Computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vfwfw, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vfwfw

vfwfw Thread Starter

I have 2 computers (both running WinXP SP2) setup in a wireless network (dlink adsl modem/router). The main computer is connected to the router by cable and the other computer connected via wireless NIC.
    Both computers can access the internet, and I can ping each computer from the other but I cannot connect them to share files, etc.
    I have worked through several tutorials and all the settings seem to be right, however when I try to view each computer within View Workgoup Computers, I cannot access them.
    On the main computer, both are listed in the workgroup, however when I click on the icon I get an error message saying that the network path was not found.
    ON the second computer, when I try to View Workgroup Computers I just get an error message saying that Workgroup is not accessible.
    Any suggestions?

2. Lotus4669

Lotus4669

Hi vfwfw,

A couple things for you to check and try. First make sure you have "File and Printer sharing for Microsoft networks" enabled on both systems. It should be listed under your "local area connection or wireless card properties => general tab => This connection uses the following items:"

Also if your still having problems, see if it might be a firewall issue. Try disabling your firewall. If your using the windows firewall, go to control panel and you will see your "windows firewall" icon. Go in and disable the wirewall on both systems and try again.

If it's still a no go, let us know. Please also tell us what version of xp your running. Home, Mediacenter, Pro

3. vfwfw

vfwfw Thread Starter

I am running XP Pro, and File & Printer Sharing is turned on on both computers.
    I have Kerio Personal Firewall on both computers (the windows firewall is disabled) and have each computers IP address listed as trusted areas.
    Diabling the firewalls does not seem to have any effect.

4. vfwfw

vfwfw Thread Starter

I have tried uninstalling both firewalls as well without any change.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you ping both ways via Computer Name, or just by IP address?

Make sure these services are running on both PCs (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services):
    Computer Browser
    Network Location Awareness
    Server
    NetBIOS TCP/IP Helper
    Workstation

6. vfwfw

vfwfw Thread Starter

I can ping both the name and the IP Address, and yes all those services are running.

7. Lotus4669

Lotus4669

try this for XP Pro... go to run, type in gpedit.msc, go to "Computer Configuration" - WINDOWS SETTINGS => SECURITY SETTINGS => LOCAL POLICIES => USER RIGHTS ASSIGNMENT then the Deny access to this computer from the network. If GUEST is listed there, remove it (You can always add it back later) See if that resolves your problem.

8. Lotus4669

Lotus4669

Any update vfwfw?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice