Can't access PDF files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dro2121

When I attempt to look at any pdf file, it brings up windows media player and does not allow me to see the page, etc. I have adobe reader. Why isn't I.E. using adobe to bring up the pdf? Why is it trying to use WMP?

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You should be able to change the PDF association.
Go to Control panel > Folder Options > file types (tab) - then scroll dpwn to find the PDF file type.

Do your folder option for PDF look like this ?

Attachments

dro2121

No, it does not. It won't allow me to just use Adobe when you change the program. It needs a more specific part of Adobe I guess. Any idea?

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Just to be sure Adobe is working .... I'd remove Adobe Reader - get a new version - install it - and reboot.
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
I would NOT opt to get the "Also Downloads" Junk.

In the folder File types panel - you can delete the file type PDF.
The next time you open a PDF ... it will ask you what do you want to open it in .. and do you want to do this always.
This should fix it.
If not - It would help if you could post a screen shot of the folder file types options.

dro2121

I do get the following message at the end of the install:

"The Windows Installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personal for assistance".

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OUCH … Anyone out here in TSG land know about Windows Installer ???

While waiting .. and because - as I remember Adobe installs funny .. like it’s installing from the net…
I’d Reboot – and try again, hoping it was an internet glitch.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online