1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't access rcsoft chat

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bonkycat, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bonkycat

bonkycat Thread Starter

Hello,
    First post, probably in the wrong area, feel free to move it to a more appropriate location. I run xp and this is the reason I posted here. I am not sure if my issue is xp related or not.
    I and some others are unable to access our school chat room.
    http://host1.rcsoft.net/schoolofgemology/
    I have done the java update, cleared all the correct files and still nothing. I get this:
    The page cannot be displayed
    More interesting is that I can't even get to host1.rcsoft.net, or any rcsoft site (assuming there is one).
    There are a couple others having the same trouble. I have verizon DSL, another has Qwest DSL. One can access with verizon broadband. Two of us have an actiontec modem and we are all running xp. We have all tried turning off all firewalls, and other than windows firewall, we all have different spy, virus and firewall protection.
    We are missing valuable lectures on gemology (another tonight) and can't, for the life of us, figure this out.
    We are gemologists and not computer literate, which is probably were the problem begins:)
    Thanks for any and all assisstance in advance.
    Lisa

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

Delete your temporary Internet files and cookies. To do this, follow these steps:
    - Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel
    - Double-click Internet Options.
    - Click the Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button.
    - Then click the Delete Cookies button and confirm this decision by clicking Yes at the next prompt.
    - Next click the Delete Files button and confirm this decision by clicking Yes at the next prompt.

Shutdown and restart the PC

3. bonkycat

bonkycat Thread Starter

Thanks Bill,
    Did that, you have no idea how many times... with firewalls on and off. Still nothing.
    Any other ideas?
    Lisa
    I should clarify, clicking start does not give me a settings tab, but I can go to control panel. I can also get there via my browser, but clicking the settings does not give me the option to delete, I have those 2 buttons next to the settings button.

4. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
    You could try this: Open Internet Explorer. Click on tools. Click on Internet options. Click on the Security tab. Click on the button Sites next to trusted sites. Paste the website URL, then click add.
    If that doesn't work, have you tried another browser? You can get FireFox here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Good luck!

5. bonkycat

bonkycat Thread Starter

Thank JustJudy,

Followed your instructions and still can't get into that chatroom. I also have tried to look for support from the makers of that chat program by visting their website. Turns out I can't even get to any www.realchat.com website at all.

There are about 50 students that enter this chatroom, most on IE like me. So far there are just a handful of us that can't get in. Since I can't even see the realchat website, I can't begin to figure this out.

Anything else I have overlooked?

Thanks again,
    Lisa

6. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
    Do you have Yahoo toolbar? It blocks popups. Our students couldn't use their Webmail because of it. Once the toolbar was deleted through Add/Remove programs the email worked. It's worth a try.... Or possibly another popup blocker that's blocking the site?

What exactly happens when you try to go to that realchat site? Errors, page can't be displayed, hijacked to another page?

7. bonkycat

bonkycat Thread Starter

Hi JustJudy,
    Thanks for continuing to help with this. I simply get, "page can not be displayed" I get this when trying to enter chat or trying to access their website directly. I am using IE with a regular old tool bar. It does have a pop up blocker, but I have had that turned off the whole time. I have done all of the available java updates. This is a stumper. If I could get to the real chat support page I might have a fighting chance! LOL, can't get there to get help to get there! Quite a conundrum.
    I will try any suggestions any of you have.
    Lisa

8. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

This poor soul had the same problem.

I finally was able to open the chat room. I had defrag, clean cookies and history, internet files, lower security, made sure that their site is allowed and restored the computer. When I opened their website it said it needed
    Adobe Flash. You might try that. I went in to check. I am in!!!!!

9. bonkycat

bonkycat Thread Starter

Thanks Bill, but that was actually another student from our forums that posted that information on our gemology forums board. It worked for her, but no one else.

There are a few conspiracy theories floating around our forums at the moment. The most popular is that the ISP is blocking real chat to conserve bandwidth.
    Another is that the actiontec modem has a cache of its own that we can't clear.
    You can see by our theories that we are gemologists and not computer smart.

There are still many of us blocked from the student chat. If anyone ever has another suggestion, I will try it.

Thanks again for the help,
    Lisa

10. rhaney

rhaney

WoW! I am new to the forums specifically for this reason. A few weeks ago, I found a KILLER chat room program to use on our website (RealChat). I purchased the program.... had it set up and everything worked GREAT (Using Comcast cable modem)... Since I purchased the program, I moved to my new office a few miles down the road and still using Comcast... and I cannot get access to my chat room now and I cannot even get to the chat room software's main website.

I have flushed my dns... deleted cookies.. turned off firewalls.. disabled virsu protector.. disabled spyware programs.. have ran 4-5 different spyware programs and i still cannot get access to the site or my website's chat room.

I have contacted their support and they are saying that they are not having any issues.

I even went to a few different offices in our complex to check to see if i could connect and none of the computers can (all using comcast cable modem)

Then, I went to a friends house about a mile down the road (who iuses Comcast) and everything loaded right up without any issues.

This has been the most frustrating thing I have ever been through because I launched the new chat room on my website and have no idea what is going on in there.

When I run a tracert route to the http://www.rcsoft.net domain... everything is looking perfect except for the last hops which are getting request timed out.

The thing that upsets me the most is that the support staff has said that they will refund my money spent.. but the damn chat room software is so awesome that I dont want my money back.. i just want to use it on my site because my chatters LOVE the program.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR I dont know what else to do. I have called comcast and they said the problem is with their host bla bla bla

I will definatly book mark this site and keep you updated.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!