1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't access router control panel

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Wooders, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wooders

Wooders Thread Starter

Hi

After spending several days trying to set up a crossover cable network between 2 PCs and failing dismally, I've just bought myself a cheap ADSL router from eBay.

It's the D-Link DSL-504. The 2 PCs can see each other and are happily sharing files etc.

But to configure the router to access my net connection (2 mb Pipex) I need to get into the router's control panel. Surely to do this, all I have to do is tap http://192.168.0.1 into IE and up it'll pop. But sadly it won't.

Can anyone shed any light?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is that the address the manual for the router says you need to enter in IE?

3. Wooders

Wooders Thread Starter

Yep, that's the default IP. I've tried using ipconfig to discover the IP used by the router but there's nothing listed next to the default gateway.

Also, I can't reset the router without using its control panel.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unless this router is atypical you can reset by holding the reset button for 10 to 20 seconds. But I don't think that's your problem. Certainly not your problem if you bought new and have never changed any of its settings.

If you have static IPs set on your computers, do yourself a favor and change the TCP/IP Properties to 'obtain IP auto' and 'obtain DNS auto.'

If you then are still having problems, please post an ipconfig /all for one of the PCs.

5. Wooders

Wooders Thread Starter

Amazingly, I fiddled with a few IP settings on one PC and managed to get into the router's control panel. I then did a factory reset and it's sorted everything out!

Thanks for all the help though- much appreciated. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice