1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't access router web configuration page

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Brenz, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brenz

Brenz Thread Starter

I can't seem to access the routers web configuration page, I get a Gateway Timeout message. I tried rebooting the router, then rebooted my system, but still nothing. It worked fine a few weeks ago. That was the last time I remember using it. I'm not sure what has happened. I checked the TCP/IP properties and everything is set to contain an IP address automatically. Plus in the ipconfig the default gateway is 192.168.0.1

I am running windows XP and my netgear router is PR114

I did look around the site to see if this question was posted before, but I didn't find anything off hand. If this question has been posted before, please post the link.. Thank you..

2. wedor

wedor

Do you have a pop up blocker?

3. Brenz

Brenz Thread Starter

I use Googles popup blocker that I've always had. I disabled it to see if it would make any difference but it doesn't.

4. downtime

downtime

Check the system for spyware. I've seen stuff like coolwebsearch causing similar trouble. If you have another machine, try from that.

5. Brenz

Brenz Thread Starter

I ran Spybot and Adaware and both came back clean. I also cleaned the temp internet files and cookies. I tried again, same Gateway Timeout message.

6. Brenz

Brenz Thread Starter

I also tried it on another computer and I get the same Gateway Timeout message. So I guess that rules out that there is a problem with the computer. I hope.. Does this mean that maybe my router has crapped out? I can still get online and file share between computers.

7. natcom

natcom

can you ping the Gateway ? sometimes doing a reset of the router fix those kind of problems there most be a reset botton somewhere on your router

8. Brenz

Brenz Thread Starter

Yes I can ping with no packet loss and I did reset the router a couple of times and rebooted. Still no luck.

9. natcom

natcom

did you reset the moden dsl or cable ? and why not try this start run cmd then type ipconfig /flushdns then ipconfig /registerdns

10. JL_COG

JL_COG

having the same problem one other computer does NOT rule out your system. i have several here and had to use one with a clean os install to access the router setup page, copy in the nic info for the computer i wanted to use the router on then put it back on THAT computer...all fine then. note that it failed on the other systems...cannot tell you the problem with the other systems, however.

11. downtime

downtime

When you say you reset the router, you're just rebooting it? Because you'd need to reset it using the button on the router, then get back in to reset your pppoe. So you're not resetting it back to factory defaults, and that won't do it if it's the router that's messed up, it needs to be reset to factory defaults. Pros and cons are, if it's the router, and resetting works, great, but if you can't get back in to reset it, you're knocked offline. At least you know you need a new router then.

12. Brenz

Brenz Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your reply. Okay this is what happened.. I went out and purchased a new router, the Linksys Etherfast/Firewall Router. Got it all set up and had the same problem. Couldn't access the Web Configuration page, getting that same Gateway Timeout message. Lucky there was some tech support in the user guide. It told me to check my Lan settings in the Internet Options and make sure that all the boxes were unchecked for Automatic configuration and Proxy server. I had one box checked off for Automatically detect settings. I unchecked that, rebooted, and I was back in business.. Now as for the Netgear Router if that was the problem for that too, I don't know cause I didn't hook it back up to check. I've been wanting to get a new router anyways, so I will stick with my new Linksys..

Thanks again for all your help guys, you have been great.. ;)

13. natcom

natcom

reason i did not think about that was cause you had the same problem on all your computers but im happy everything is working for you now :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/251055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice