1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Access Secondary Hard Drive After Restore From Backup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by successgold, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. successgold

successgold Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 and I have four hard drives in my computer labeled C, E, F and G. A few days ago I got a BSOD and my computer wouldn't start up after that. I've been having a few problems with the C drive lately so I bought a replacement and restored from my Acronis TrueImage 2010 backup. That went fine and my computer now works as it did before with my F and G drives connected, but not my E drive. If I try to start up with my E drive connected my computer just gets stuck on the "Starting Windows" screen. If I look at my BIOS settings with it connected it is not listed. It's a pretty new drive and I've never had any problems with it before. Please can someone tell me how I can start using it again?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. pip22

pip22

Mine does the same thing. Just make sure it's disconnected before you turn on your PC, then plug it in when Windows has loaded (usb was designed for "hot plugging" so don't worry about that).

3. successgold

First Name:
    Joe
    It's an internal drive, not an external one. I'm not going to try and connect it while the computer is on.

4. Lance1

Lance1

Have you tried moving the drive to another SATA port or changing out the SATA cable? Does the drive spin up at startup? If it is not seen in the BIOS and the drive is silent on bootup, it is most likely dead.

5. successgold

First Name:
    Joe
    I've tried a different SATA data cable and that didn't help. I've also just tried removing the hard drive and connecting it as an external drive and that didn't help either.

6. Hughv

Hughv

How did you connect it externally, and what did it do/not do?

7. successgold

First Name:
    Joe
    I connected using an external hard drive enclosure. When I turned it on, nothing happened. It didn't appear under "Computer".

8. Hughv

Hughv

Can you hear the drive spin? It's sounding like a dead drive.

9. successgold

First Name:
    Joe
    No, I can't hear it spin. I think I need to buy a new one.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/978408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice