Can't access secure sites on laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Pegnok

I have a home network setup. Everything works, except for accessing hotmail, msn messenger & my bank from the laptop. I CAN get to yahoo mail & Direcway webmail, no problem. I don't use Outlook at all.

I went through all the help and still can't get it to work.

I have xp-home on the "main" and 98se on the laptop. Direcway is my ISP.

The msn messenger popped up with something about being behind a firewall so I went to change the configuration on it to allow secure sites. Went through the help ... nothing worked, so I temp disabled the firewall to see if that would do it. Nope, didn't work.

I'm sorry, I don't know what other information you would need to help me figure this out. Please let me know and I'll supply it.

Thanks,
Peggy

Pegnok

Yes, it does show 128 bit cipher strength. I'll try the things suggested in the link you sent.

Thank you,
Peggy

Pegnok

Okay, my husband got ahold of the laptop and totally lost our pci card and everything else!

Today with a little removing and re-installing everything is back to where it was, but I still can't get to my bank online or hotmail... you know, I wouldn't worry about it but I'm bringing other people into my network and want to make sure everything will work. Could it just be my laptop?

I tried everything I could with the links you sent except for the www.computercops.biz link which I also couldn't get to. Naturally, it's the solved one :\

If nothing else we can all use yahoo, giggle!

Oh, does this problem (whatever it is) effect outlook?

If not, I'll have everyone use it and just keep a very good anti-virus!!!

Are you running any personal firewall software or is the XP personal firewall enabled?

Pegnok

I have a firewall with my anti-virus software, if it's on, my network can't connect. So, it's off!
My internet connection is firewalled through the network config. I turned it off to see if it would make a difference and it DIDN'T. *sigh* I did find one thing of interest, it might work for someone else.

While trying to get a Win Update - it failed. Now, this is on my second laptop in the network. It doesn't connect to hotmail or my bank either! (I'm beginning to think is in the "Main" of the network)
I went to the help board and found this;

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]&rnum=1

It's an issue with Norton Anti-Virus Software. I don't use Norton, so it doesn't help me, but I thought maybe someone else might be helped by it.

So, could there be something in my Main- host computer that is causing this?

It gets to all the security pages though.

Peggy

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi again,

Well, no 10 page long log this time

Try this - with all browser windows closed, Go to Start->Run and copy and paste each of the following, hitting ok after each:

regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

Reboot, then try to access the sites that were giving you problems again.

Also, the obligatory P2P Apps. are bad news warning. They're one of the leading sources of viruses, trojans and other malware, so it's recommended you get rid of them.

There is the complete post from my link where it was solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online