1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't access secure sites on laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Pegnok, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pegnok

Pegnok Thread Starter

I have a home network setup. Everything works, except for accessing hotmail, msn messenger & my bank from the laptop. I CAN get to yahoo mail & Direcway webmail, no problem. I don't use Outlook at all.

I went through all the help and still can't get it to work.

I have xp-home on the "main" and 98se on the laptop. Direcway is my ISP.

The msn messenger popped up with something about being behind a firewall so I went to change the configuration on it to allow secure sites. Went through the help ... nothing worked, so I temp disabled the firewall to see if that would do it. Nope, didn't work.

I'm sorry, I don't know what other information you would need to help me figure this out. Please let me know and I'll supply it.

Thanks,
    Peggy

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are the time and date correct on your system?

3. Pegnok

Pegnok Thread Starter

4. ~Candy~

5. Pegnok

Pegnok Thread Starter

Yes, it does show 128 bit cipher strength. I'll try the things suggested in the link you sent.

Thank you,
    Peggy

6. ~Candy~

7. Pegnok

Pegnok Thread Starter

Okay, my husband got ahold of the laptop and totally lost our pci card and everything else!

Today with a little removing and re-installing everything is back to where it was, but I still can't get to my bank online or hotmail... you know, I wouldn't worry about it but I'm bringing other people into my network and want to make sure everything will work. Could it just be my laptop?

I tried everything I could with the links you sent except for the www.computercops.biz link which I also couldn't get to. Naturally, it's the solved one :\

If nothing else we can all use yahoo, giggle!

Oh, does this problem (whatever it is) effect outlook?

If not, I'll have everyone use it and just keep a very good anti-virus!!!

8. Rockn

Rockn

Are you running any personal firewall software or is the XP personal firewall enabled?

9. Pegnok

Pegnok Thread Starter

I have a firewall with my anti-virus software, if it's on, my network can't connect. So, it's off!
    My internet connection is firewalled through the network config. I turned it off to see if it would make a difference and it DIDN'T. *sigh* I did find one thing of interest, it might work for someone else.

While trying to get a Win Update - it failed. Now, this is on my second laptop in the network. It doesn't connect to hotmail or my bank either! (I'm beginning to think is in the "Main" of the network)
    I went to the help board and found this;

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]&rnum=1

It's an issue with Norton Anti-Virus Software. I don't use Norton, so it doesn't help me, but I thought maybe someone else might be helped by it.

So, could there be something in my Main- host computer that is causing this?

It gets to all the security pages though.

Peggy

10. ~Candy~

Hi again,

Well, no 10 page long log this time

Try this - with all browser windows closed, Go to Start->Run and copy and paste each of the following, hitting ok after each:

regsvr32 softpub.dll
    regsvr32 wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 initpki.dll
    regsvr32 dssenh.dll
    regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
    regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
    regsvr32 sccbase.dll
    regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
    regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

Reboot, then try to access the sites that were giving you problems again.

Also, the obligatory P2P Apps. are bad news warning. They're one of the leading sources of viruses, trojans and other malware, so it's recommended you get rid of them.

There is the complete post from my link where it was solved.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice