1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't access Security in XP

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mooodyman, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mooodyman

mooodyman Thread Starter

Please note the 'message' at the bottom of the snapshot. I DO NOT run on a system and I have not set up any admin controls/codes. This came to light after I upgraded to IE7, I am running XP SP2. All other Tabs in Internet Options work OK, just not the Security tab, and of course I need It :( [the only thing that works on this screen in the ''settings'' link, which didn't help me at all - snapshot below]
    Many thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Augie65

Augie65

3. mooodyman

mooodyman Thread Starter

Thanks to Augie65 !!

With his info I was able to search the web and found the below answer many times. I wish I could quote the author, couldn't find one.

BUT.... It Worked!!! I feel so FREE at the moment. I was seriously thinking of deleting IE7 and returning to IE6. Staved off for now, Hail FireFox 2.0

1. Start > Run > (type in) Regedit > [OK]

2. Navigate to/See if you have the following key...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings

If it's not found, STOP;

3. If it's found, highlight it then look in the right pane: Is there a DWORD
    value of "Security_Zones_Map_Edit" or "Security_HKLM_only" (without the
    quotes)?

If not, STOP;

4. If so, right-click on the above key (left pane) > Select "Export" & save
    the file to your desktop (backup of the key for safety's sake).

5. Now right-click on the same key again > Select "Delete" > Close Regedit
    then reboot your machine.

4. Augie65

Augie65

You are very welcome.:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice