Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cant access security settings

Solved 
526 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  managed 
#1 · (Edited)
I am trying to delete a folder. I cant get access to the security tab on the permissions. Everything I do leads back to "You must have read permission to access have read permission to access the folders properties...Click advanced to continue". If I click advanced i am told I need permission to access the security tab. When I try to take ownership it says I need permission to access the permissions tab. Everything leads back to needing permission to access permission. I cant give myself permission because I need permission to do that. I cant change the owner because I need permission to do THAT ! When I go up a level to the containing folder and try to change any permissions I get an error relating to the original folder which I cant alter ! Does anyone know I way I can simply delete the folder without reference to giving myself (the owner of the folder) permission?
Cheers

Additional: When I try to change permissions from further up the folder hierarchy I get an error "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access denied.

#5 ·
The path is d:/Windows/Temp/(BA2AD694-4BA1-40A9 and it continues for another 12 (I would think) Hex digits before a closing bracket.. The drive is not a system drive, and was never one, but was part of a different computer that seems to have had several windows problems. I have tried iobit unlocker (which claims the file is unlocked). I have tried accessing the file from all levels of the path hierarchy. Several different command prompt commands that I discovered online. None of them have made the slightest difference. The name of the folder seems to be the problem but I cant even open the folder to see what is in in, it just says I dont have permission even though I am the owner of all the folders in the path. Ex system file or not there has to be (should be) some way of removing it. Even systems can be un-installed.

#9 ·
To everybody who tried to help me with this issue thank you all very much.
I failed to find a solution so I took the easy way out. I copied all the useful data to another drive then formatted the problem drive AGAIN. This time it worked fine. I think the file I was trying to get rid of was actually the ID of the disk that had been causing problems in another system. Anyway problem solved, and thank you all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.