1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't access several websites

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by magma18, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. magma18

magma18 Thread Starter

Hi I am not sure if it's a networking problem or what that I have. The problem is that my brother took the NIC card out a couple days ago and put it back in and now I am unable to open several different websites, such as ESPN.com and the Northwest Cable News Weather page, as well as yahoo mail and other sites. It allows me to go to some other sites though. We are on a network with just 2 computers here at home running on DSL through a router. Can anyone help me out here please? Thanks a lot

~Brandon

2. dtugg

dtugg

Welcome to TSG!!!

You say you can't go to these web sites, but what does it do?

Does it give you an error or what?

dtugg

3. agent_c

agent_c

.. you can read thru my post .. similar situation.

.. basically if you open your "hosts" file in Notepad .. it shouldn't have more than one or 2 ip addresses in it ..

.. this is only used by some programs (proprietary) .. to link URL's to IP addresses .. you can change this file name .. and it has helped many others.

.. please read .. this thread.

.. hope it helps.

4. magma18

magma18 Thread Starter

When I try to enter a website that happens to not work, it says "Opening page *whatever the site might be* and the bar just slowly moves across the screen like it is trying to open the page....and it just sits there and does nothing. No errors pop up and it does not tell me that the website doesn't exist. It simply does nothing more. Hope u can help

5. agent_c

agent_c

.. maybe you are going thru a proxy when you shouldn't be .. ??

.. In IE .. Tools > Internet Options > connections > (LAN) settings.

.. there are serveral suggestions if you follow the link in my last reply.

6. magma18

magma18 Thread Starter

Oh I forgot to also mention that I am able to go to all of the websites on the main computer, it's just the other computer (MINE) that all of a sudden can't visit websites now.

7. magma18

magma18 Thread Starter

I checked out your link and I did check my proxy and all of that was fine, it wasn't selected. I don't understand how, or I should say which file, to change to "GHOSTS" in the notepad thing. I didn't see anything else on that link really. I appreciate your help though, hopefully we can figure this thing out.

8. agent_c

agent_c

.. try it ..

.. do a find for "hosts" (no extension) .. and change it's name to "ghosts" .. you can always change it back.

9. agent_c

agent_c

.. and then kick it .. and restart it.

.. my hosts file is called "ghosts" on this machine.

. btw .. what operating systems and IE version .. and such .. ??

10. magma18

magma18 Thread Starter

I have the latest version of IE and I am using Windows 98 on my computer. I am not sure which file to change to ghost...there are like 3 files the same.

11. Improvenet_1

Improvenet_1

should be in the ...drivers\etc folder named hosts.sam

12. magma18

magma18 Thread Starter

okay I changed the name of that file to ghost and reset my computer but it still didn't help. I don't know what else to do? Anyone got the answer?

13. magma18

magma18 Thread Starter

okay I changed the name of that file to ghost and reset my computer but it still didn't help. I don't know what else to do? Anyone got the answer?

14. Del

Del

Go to Start > Run and click it.
    Type "command" without the quotes and click ok.
    Then type "ping 64.58.76.176" without the quotes and hit enter.
    Do you get request timed out or reply from 4 times and ping statistics packets sent 4, received 4.
    If you get replys, type "ping yahoo.com" and hit enter.
    You should either get unknown host or reply from 4 times and ping statistics packets sent 4, received 4.
    Let us know what you get.

15. magma18

magma18 Thread Starter

Ok Del I followed exactly what you said and it all seems to work fine. I got 4 sent and 4 replies for both the things you told me. Do you have another thought now that you know this? Hope to hear back soon! Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice