1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't access sites beginning with 64.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gentleben, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gentleben

gentleben Thread Starter

I have a problem accessing any web site that start with 64 as the first ip address. I can't ping the web site or do a trace route..doesn't get past the router. Can't type the ip address in the browser window and make it work. Our provider recently put our network on a different ip address (we are linked through a wireless bridge to the ISP) we are now using an IP address beginning with 64 also. I have set our 3620 router to the new cahnges..just can't access anything beginning with 64. Any ideas out there. I think the problem may be on the ISP side,but don't really know. TIA

2. Rockn

Rockn

Sounds like a routing problem where all of your requests for the 64.x.x.x network are routed to your local network. Either that or a misconfigured firewall.

3. coderanger

coderanger

I agree with Rockn. More specificaly check that you netmask on the router is not set to 255.0.0.0 . For most networks the correct setting is 255.255.255.0 .

4. patch-man

patch-man

Might be worth a call to your ISP just to verify the mask. If they are a smaller one, they may be using variable length subnets, in which case your mask could be just about anything.
    Is there a firewall between your network and the router? If so, try telneting into the router and try to ping. If you can ping from there, the problem is definitely in the firewall, if not, the problem is in the router or further downstream.

5. gentleben

gentleben Thread Starter

Found they were using supernetting and VLSM..it's resolved now except now none of my wireless clients can access the web or mail....the more things chage..the more they stay the same...sigh!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice