1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant access specific websites

Discussion in 'General Security' started by davias87, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davias87

davias87 Thread Starter

Hi there,

Im getting increasingly frustrated due to the fact that i cant access some websites.

For example: www.microsoft.com It always says "Internet explorer cant display this webpage"

But can access other websites like "BBC,Amazon and ebay etc without any problems

Any suggestions?

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

1- Please click HERE to download HijackThis.

2- Run the program.

3- Click on the Main Menu button if not already there.

4- Select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

5- Copy and paste the scan log from Notepad into your next reply. Do not attach it.

6- Do not "Fix" anything unless advised to do so.

For Windows 7 and Vista:

If Windows is denying access to the Hosts file, run HijackThis as Administrator or disable the UAC first.

3. davias87

davias87 Thread Starter

Hi Phantom,

Many thanks for your reply, unfortunately when i click on the link to get to "hijackthis" it says unable to load webpage.

I think it wont let me open any pages that has to do with security or installing security software.

4. Techy1234

Techy1234

Hello davias87

Just to help diagnose it, can you confirm that this is only an issue with IE. You do not have any issues with other browsers (i.e. firefox etc).

Can you try to run IE without any add ons and see if you are able to go to the websites. You can do this by doing the following:
    Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

5. davias87

davias87 Thread Starter

Hi Techy,

Thanks for the response, followed your suggestions and typed in the websites that i cannot access and it still comes up with "internet explorer cannot display page"

I also use Mozilla Firefox aswelll and i still have the same problem.

6. Techy1234

Techy1234

7. Phantom010

You can download HijackThis from HERE?

8. davias87

davias87 Thread Starter

Hi,

Many thanks for your suggestions but unfortunately none of them have worked, I used norton 360 anti virus which ran out 3 days, and It won't let me install any further security software

9. Phantom010

Your computer is probably infected. Please click on Report and kindly ask to be moved to the Virus & Other Malware Removal forum. Be sure to provide the appropriate reports in that forum after reading THIS. From there, be patient. The malware removal experts are very busy! You should get an answer within the next 48 hours.

10. Techy1234

Techy1234

Hello davias

You may have possibly helped solve your problem ;). It has been noticed that when Norton software expires, it is problematic to update it and also it is known to block internet access in some cases. The solution is to uninstall Norton and reinstall it in order to reactive it. It should also solve your internet access issue.

More details can be found here: http://community.norton.com/t5/Nort...ps-PC-from-Connecting-to-Internet/td-p/167489

Try it out and let us know the result.

Good luck
    Techy

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice