1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't access to shared folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by associates, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. associates

associates Thread Starter

Hi,

I've encountered a very odd thing here. I have a PC that runs on windows XP Pro and it's connected to domain server.

What happens is that when i was trying to access to files on the server, i typed in \\192.168.4.10 to the address on windows explorer. It failed with the following message

"\\192.168.4.10 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resources... The network is not present or not started."

Then, i checked to see if i could get onto the internet. yes, the internet's working. I run windows command prompt and run ping to the server's IP address and got replies back from the server. Everything seemed to be OK. I couldn't think of anything that might be the cause.

After that, i tried to access to the server again but this time by a different mean. I went to windows explorer and then click on "My Network Places". I found the shared folder on the server there and clicked on it and it worked. I could get in with no hassle at all. So what's wrong with typing in the IP address to the windows explorer. Very strange one.

Has anyone had a similar issue like i have before and might be able to help me out?

THank you in advance

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

1. try without the backslashes.
    2. Maybe you have the wrong digits in the address?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!