Can't access to shared folder

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

associates

Hi,

I've encountered a very odd thing here. I have a PC that runs on windows XP Pro and it's connected to domain server.

What happens is that when i was trying to access to files on the server, i typed in \\192.168.4.10 to the address on windows explorer. It failed with the following message

"\\192.168.4.10 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resources... The network is not present or not started."

Then, i checked to see if i could get onto the internet. yes, the internet's working. I run windows command prompt and run ping to the server's IP address and got replies back from the server. Everything seemed to be OK. I couldn't think of anything that might be the cause.

After that, i tried to access to the server again but this time by a different mean. I went to windows explorer and then click on "My Network Places". I found the shared folder on the server there and clicked on it and it worked. I could get in with no hassle at all. So what's wrong with typing in the IP address to the windows explorer. Very strange one.

Has anyone had a similar issue like i have before and might be able to help me out?

THank you in advance

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online