1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't access WAP's config

Discussion in 'Networking' started by acpo, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. acpo

acpo Thread Starter

it's set up as follows:

Code:
    modem -> router -> wap
                    -> computer
    the wap is Linksys WAP54G v2.

according to the user guide I should be able to access the config via 192.168.1.245. however, when I try this it just times out.

2. steviefan68

steviefan68

Not sure if this will help, it may be obvious , apologies if so:-
    Is the computer wired to the router for config, and is the IP address in the same group as the router - I had to set this manually before I could config my router , despite the manual saying I could ask for an IP address to be assigned automatically. Try setting the computer IP address to 192.168.1.2. , then try.
    Steve

3. Rockn

Rockn

Is your local network a part of the 192.168.1.x network? If it's not you cannot connect to the WAP unless you add a static route to your routing table or change your PC's IP address to the same range.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Normallly, when I'm configuring a WAP, I connect a computer directly to it, and then install it into the system.

5. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    What is the IP of your router??
    What is the IP of your WAP??

If you did not configure the IP of the WAP putting it on the same subnet with a different IP than your router, that could be your problem.

For example, if you router is using 192.168.1.245, then you would probably want to set your WAP's IP to 192.168.1.246, just to keep it simple.

6. acpo

acpo Thread Starter

my router is 192.168.0.1

my wap is supposed to be 192.168.1.245, however that doesn't work :(

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your router and WAP are in different subnets (192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x); whatever computer you are using is probably in the router's subnet. There may be other ways around this, but likely your best bet is to pay attention to JohnWill's post #4 and change the WAP's IP to 192.168.0.245.

8. acpo

acpo Thread Starter

how do I change its address?

9. acpo

acpo Thread Starter

I've changed some settings. here is what I currently have

modem - 192.168.1.2
    router - 192.168.1.1
    wap - SHOULD be 192.168.1.245

the wap (when trying to connect from a computer that's 192.168.1.101) still times out.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How did you change the IP of the modem?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "the wap (when trying to connect from a computer that's 192.168.1.101) still times out."

That's with the computer connected to the WAP via a regular (patch, straight) ethernet cable, correct? (I'm not familiar with WAPs, but am assuming that's the way you connect to configure.)

12. Karaethon

Karaethon

umm theres a problem with your setup as I see it.
    if this is your setup:
    internet ---> router port A --->Wap
    Router Port B--- computer

then you cant access the WAP from there, you are trying to send dat from one IP (ex. 192.168.1.2) through the router to another IP (192.168.1.3) but the WAP is set to accept on 192.168.1.245. you need to put the WAP inline (if you can I dont know 100% if its got in and out ethernet ports) like this internet ---> router ---> WAP ---> computer

I may be wrong about this, depending on the model of your WAP.

I had a similar problem with my Vonage adapter, I can only access its settings on the downstream port, if I try connecting in from the upstream (internet side) port, i never get anything. its a security thing I think, to keep outsiders out of my adapter, if im not mistaken most devices only accept admin/config requests from the downstream side, unless they are configured to accept from outside the network.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice