1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't access web site on lap top ** Only ** http://404

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by doug1234, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doug1234

doug1234 Thread Starter

Today my laptop, but not my desktop shows the http://404 page not found.
    Using a router, which sometimes prevents me from getting my site, but if the desktop gets to the site, I am stumped why laptop won't
    Any help appreciated.

HP Pavilion
    Running Vista

2. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

What happens if you conenct directly to the internet bypassing the router? Are you able to ping with a command line? Are you using any 3rd party firewalls? Check those out and see if you are able to do any of them or restore your conenct after disabling firewalls.

3. doug1234

doug1234 Thread Starter

HI Lawson
    I pluged directly to the laptop, but could not get anything when doing that.
    Earlier when I was having problems, i deleted cookies and temp files.
    this is strange, that when I plug the cable modem directly, the computer does not seem to get the signal.

I have the firewall turned off, and only are using AVG Free

4. GardenLibrarian

GardenLibrarian

Hi folks, this is my first attempt to post to this forum, and I'm afraid it is a long one.
    I had a similar problem to Doug1234 recently so my experience may be of some help. I have two laptops - one XP, one Vista. I use a 'dongle' to connect to the internet (I have a mobile broadband account with 3UK) which can be plugged into either machine. Between August 24th and September 3rd, I was unable to display any web pages on my Vista laptop even though I was connected to the internet. I use both Mozilla and Internet Explorer, but neither browser worked. The message displayed was 'unable to display page...' and the usual list of reasons proffered (server may be busy or having problems, you are not connected to the internet... etc.) Swopping the 'dongle' to the XP laptop proved that the dongle was working, I was connecting to the internet OK and that the web pages were accessible. I accepted the IE offer to diagnose the fault and that confirmed there was no fault with the internet connection on the Vista machine. Spontaneously (although at the time, I thought it was because I switched the network settings on the 'dongle' from "automatically select" to "manually select" the network connection) on Sept 4th, full internet access was regained. The problem reccured, however, on Sept 19th and nothing I did could fix it. I telephoned the 3UK support service (on Sept 21st)but they couldn't pinpoint the problem. Eventually, they surmised it must be an issue between my hardware (Packard Bell EasyNote) and the Vista operating system and suggested I contact my technical support for the laptop. While trying to locate a route through to the PB support teams, I noticed that, according to the PBUpdator icon on my desktop, there appeared to be some updates outstanding. There were 11 items in the list of updates, which I proceeded to download and install. [Incidentally, I had already discovered that it was possible to download software via the internet connection even though the browser couldn't display any web pages, and had already completed all Windows and antivirus updates available for the laptop.] The penultimate update listed by PBUpdator was for 'Google Desktop' and this insisted on rebooting the machine (I had been selecting 'restart later' whenever prompted so far) which, of course severed the network connection on me. Anyway, once that was restored, I tried to display a web page - but unsuccessfully. Then I completed the 'Google Desktop' installation, tried the browser again and IT WORKED!!! I have had no problems using the browsers since.

I do not know if anything I did affected the problem, or whether the problem may yet re-occur. If anyone else has any words of wisdom, I'd be grateful to hear them.

5. doug1234

doug1234 Thread Starter

Just an update to my problem.
    It turned out that I had deleted the cache for my laptop, but not my desktop.
    Another party had let the web site hosting expire, and so it was not even up at the time I posted this message.
    Now the web site is back, and my problem is fixed.

Now my new problem is with not being able to send e mails through this web site using Thunderbird which I have posted under e mail thread.

thanks to Lawson and Garden Librarian for your help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice