Cant access Workgroup computers with \\COMP-NAME\C$

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

patrick-tibai

Hello, I have 2 PCs (One vista HomePrem, One 7 PRO)that I am able to connect to each other via WORKGROUP. I try to access each others computers Hard Drives and I get a prompt asking for username and password(on the Vista machine) and a password(on the 7 machine, the username is alreay there). I've tried my username and password for the computer I'm currently on, and I tried the username and passord for the PC im connecting too, niether give joy. How can I access these computers from the other? I'm sure its something simple that I am not thinking of.

TerryNet

Terry
Is it only the root of the hard drives that refuses access? In other words, can you access a folder on each hard drive?

patrick-tibai

Well, the normal share allows full access to public and the media folders. So those can be accessed w/o a hitch. I don't want to set a full share because I don't want my kids to be able to monkey around with whatever they want.

TerryNet

Terry
I don't understand exactly what you mean by "the normal share" nor by "a full share."

patrick-tibai

I'm sorry, by referring to a "full share" I was referencing Sharing the whole C drive by right-clicking it and sharing there. The "normal share" I was referring too was the default share that Windows implements in workgroups and is usually just public folders. Sorry for the confusion.

TerryNet

Terry
OK, thanks. Just for a test please share another "regular" folder on the C drive and see if you can access that OK. Some people have had trouble sharing the C drive in Vista (and maybe the same random problem is in 7) while they can share any and all folders. I am trying to determine if that is what you are experiencing or if it is a more general issue. Unfortunately, I don't know if access by C$ instead of actually sharing the drive will make a difference.

Here is the problem sometimes people have with Vista: How to Share the Root of a Drive Under Vista

patrick-tibai

I can share my malwarebytes folder just fine. (%systemroot%/Program Files/MalewareBytes) Win 7 accessing Vista machine, It shows up in network places.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online