1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Acquire Network Address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by depawl, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. depawl

depawl Thread Starter

I'm trying to get connected to Verizon DSL for the first time, I have a Dell Dimension running XP, I've gone through the install and can't get a connection. I have the icon in the task bar showing the two computers trying to connect, when I hold the mouse over it it says: "acquiring network address", but it never does. I was on the phone today with Verizon tech support, he tried everything he could think of: couldn't ping anything, tried setting manual ip addresses instead of automatic, tried connecting with USB instead of Ethernet, his final suggestion was that the nic is faulty, however this doesn't make sense to me since it didn't work through USB either. The computer can connect fine through my old dial up connection.
    I tried the install with a second computer (Toshiba laptop) and it worked fine, so the problem is definitely something to do with the Dell. I don't have a screenshot or text file for ipconfig on the Dell, but I know that all of the addresses are 000.000.0.0 (or something like that).
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Are you connecting directly to a modem or to a router/switch?

3. depawl

depawl Thread Starter

Sorry;
    Connecting directly to the modem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice