1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant acquire network IP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sirgrief, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sirgrief

sirgrief Thread Starter

my network wont share its internet connection correctly. i have the DHCP enabled and the clients cant connect. the connection is shared on the server and the clients cant connect. occasionally when im screwing around with it, i can get the clients to the "acquiring network address" step and they time out. why are they trying to acquire a new network address? if the connection is shared it should assign them something like 192.168.x.x right? the network was fully functional once upon a time and it stopped awhile before service pack 2 even came out. i can share/view files from all the clients and the server and visa versa but no internet function. please help me understand why the IPs wont assign right. thanks in advance for any help provided :)

_NETWORK LAYOUT_
    cable modem ->
    server NIC#1 - (shared connection) 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI ->
    server NIC#2 - (On-board) Intel(R) PRO/100 VE ->
    netgear 8-port 10/100Mbps Dual Speed Hub Model DS108 ->
    clients:
    #1 Compaq Evo with Realtek RTL 8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    #2 HP somethingoranother with 3Com 3c905TX-based Ethernet Adapter (Generic)
    #3 HP Visualize X-Class with Intel(R) 82559 Fast Ethernet LAN

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Any firewall software set up on any of the computers?

Have you tried giving any of your client computers static IP addresses within the same subnet?

Rollin

3. sirgrief

sirgrief Thread Starter

the only firewall "Software" is the stuff with xp sp2. ive tried every combination of on/off firewalls with clients and servers and no dice.

im not extremely experience in IP assigning but I have tried setting the IPs to what I think they should be but im not totally sure what all that stuff is. i only have 1 IP with my ISP so shouldnt i be trying to set the others to 192.168.0.x to get them online?

4. bearqst

bearqst

Try disconnecting all the work stations and leave only the server up on the network, see if you can connect to the internet.

Go to a command prompt and type ipconfig /all what do get for a reply ?

If all works and the network / IP of the server is in the proper range, set up and connect one of the work stations to the network, do the same with it.

Post the results of ipconfig /all for both the server and 1 workstation.

Also, what OS's are you running on each machine ??

5. sirgrief

sirgrief Thread Starter

ive found something that sparked my interest on my ipconfig /all
    the NIC that runs from server to hub is not DHCP enabled. could this be an issue?

i forgot to mention earlier that client #3 (above) is able to surf the internet. this is another puzzling factor cuz ive tried matching settings on the other clients and no dice. that client is set to automatically configure itself.

i disconnected all the clients and was still able to connect to the internet via the server. the network IP is in-range (192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0)
    ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NINJAFOX
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : pepco.com
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : pepco.com
    frdrmd.adelphia.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : frdrmd.adelphia.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-02-37-62-0B
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 69.170.40.183
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 69.170.40.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.232.108.20
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.66.31.244
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 22, 2004 12:14:16 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 23, 2004 12:14:16AM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-9F-2B-1F
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

i connected client #1 and it tried to acquire new address and then gave me the limited connectivity bubble
    ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : evo
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-CD-C6-83-B9
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.160.144
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

all machines running XP Pro SP2 except client #2 is only SP1

6. bearqst

bearqst

I see a couple of issues with your network setup.

First, set the NIC from server to HUB with DHCP.

In general, are these all on the same network or suppse to be ? If so, your network configuration needs to be worked on. Each of the NIC's in the ipconfig log you attached are on different networks i.e.

NIC 1) 69.170.40.183
    NIC 2) 192.168.0.1
    NIC 3) 169.254.160.144

I'll bet client #3 is on the same network as the server. Do an ipconfig on it see what shows.

If the server is as you showed (192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0), there isn't a gateway included in the ipconfig, no gateway, no internet.

You have a Server, Netgeard HUB, Cable modem and 3 clients, correct ? If so, what OS on the server, maybe we can try a different network layout than I think you now using.

7. sirgrief

sirgrief Thread Starter

first, i dont know how to set NIC from server to hub to DHCP enabled. i tried google and cant find much except pages describing DHCP.

second, i know the first two NICs appear to be on different networks but theyre in the same computer (the server) so shouldnt one be the internet IP its receiving and the other be the LAN IP its trying to serve with?

third, here is the ipconfig /all of client #3

Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name: billy-wkwe037f3
    Primate Dns Suffix: pepco.com
    Node Type: Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled: No
    DNS Suffix Search List: pepco.com

Connection-specific DNS suffic: mshome.net
    Description: Intel(R) 82559 Fast Ethernet LAN on Motherboard
    Physical Address: 00-30-6E-0A-13-D4
    Dhcp Enabled: Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
    IP Address: 192.168.0.205
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server: 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers: 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 1:53:39 PM
    Lease Expires: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 1:53:29 PM

lastly, what is up with the lack of gateway on the server? i think ive tried to screw with it in the past and it just disconnects me from the internet.

the OS on the server is XP SP2.

8. bearqst

bearqst

OK, let's take this one item at a time.

1) set NIC from server to hub to DHCP enabled.

Go to Start Button, Control Panel. Double click on "Network Connections" You should see an Icon for each of the NIC's. Select the one that goes to the HUB, right click and select "properties". Highlight Internet protocol (TCP/IP) and select "properties".

You have 2 options here a) Obtain an IP Address Automatically, or b) Use the Following IP address (and places to enter IP, Mask, and gateway)

FIRST: Write down all the IP information currently set for this NIC. Just in case we have to go back.

Then, place a mark in the circle for "Obtain an IP address Automatically". On the same properties page, select "Obtain a DNS server address Automatically".

2) The NIC's on "your Internal Network" don't need to be on separate subnets and should be. Assuming your ISP provides you with a Dynamic Internet IP Address when you connect.

What I do, I have my Internet IP assigned to the "Outside Interface" of my Cable Modem (the connection from the modem to the ISP), the "inside interface" of the cable modem is conected to my router. Everyting from the Inside interface of the cable modem to all work stations / servers reside on my "Private Inside Network" i.e. 192.168.1.X. I'm not real familar with the Netgear DS108 router, but it should be configurable to allow this.

My router is set to act as my DHCP server, so all systems on the inside network get their IP from the router, the router then NAT's my private IP's to the cable modems outside IP, which then allows all systems to surf the web through one cable modem connection.

When you have 2 or more subnets (as you do), you need to configure the router to pass trafic for 'all" the subnets.

3) Gateway. This maybe casuing most of your problem. Your gateway should be pointing to either the "private inside IP" or your ISP's gateway they provided you when you intially setup your account with them. Without a gateway a system will not properly pass traffic as it doesn't know where to go.

9. sirgrief

sirgrief Thread Starter

yeah when i first tried your layout i could never get it to work for some reason. i think now it might be because i have a hub and not a router? if i could configure my hub (which i dont know how to "log-in" to it) i might be able to get it working that way or the way i have things mapped now. can you try to explain to me how to configure my hub? i tried googling and couldnt find anything useful. so now im back to the original layout as before just to get on the internet. thanks for all the help so far! i hope we can figure this out

10. bearqst

bearqst

A Hub is not configurable to route traffic, it only passes traffic.

My mistake, I just re-read your first post. Sorry.

OK, how about we set the NIC's on your systems as static.

I'll post the info here in an hour or two for each unit. I want to look up spec's on the DS108 first

11. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Is your "Server" a true server running Server software? What Operating System are you using?

Does your hub have an uplink port on it? How are all your computers connected to the hub? Which ports are you using? What type of cabling are you using (straight through vs. crossover)

Rollin

12. bearqst

bearqst

As I understand it, your current setup is as follows:

Cable Modem, connected to NIC #1 on Server (XP OS)

NIC #2 on Server connected to HUB (DS108)

Work stations connected to HUB to share Internet connection through Server.

With this setup (no router in system) you need to use ICS on the machine designated as your Server.

1st. If you have the funds, I strongly suggest you buy a router, their fairly inexpensive these days. Netgear FR114P Cable/DSL Router $85.00 USD for a low end option.

Assuming a router is not an option, were stuck with ICS. Start with the system that you've designated as the server (its actually know as "ICS Host").

Again, write down the current NIC configuration info for both NIC's on the ICS Host, you may need it later. Rather than repeat the process, I found a site that gives a good step-by-step description for setting up ICS Host and Client systems.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/index.htm

follow the process for installing and setting ICS Host and Clients.

There are others lurking on here that know a lot more about ICS then I do, maybe we can get one of then to join...

More info on ICS at:

1)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/ics.mspx

2)
    http://www.microsoft.com/resource...windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prcg_cnd_cjkz.asp

13. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Ok, hold up. We've got some confused advice going on here.

First off, client #3 that had the 169.254.160.144 address simply assigned that to itself because it was unable to get a DHCP address.

You don't want the server to think there is a default gateway going out the NIC connecting to the hub. The gateway should be the internet. A default gateway says to the computer "If you don't have other information to know where to send traffic, send that traffic to the gateway". So, a default gateway pointing anywhere but the internet would disconnect you from the internet.

You don't want DHCP on the server NIC connecting to the hub because that interface should be SERVING DHCP. Under the ipconfig information that entry is as a CLIENT for DHCP.

Do you have the server configured to serve DHCP? My guess is that answer is no, you've assumed the modem would provide that for you. Otherwise the other clients should be able to get addresses. The box with the manual configuration works, because it is configured correctly with the gateway pointed to the server's static address.

14. bearqst

bearqst

Your correct, we did have some confused advice going here. His network needs to use ICS, this is what had me confused at first, he never mentioned ICS and I mistakenly assumed he was using a router, he's not.

Using ICS, all the client systems need to be "dynamic" from the ICS host system.

Reference

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice