1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't backup/export Outlook 2010 mail since MS updates

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pookie2017, Dec 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pookie2017

pookie2017 Thread Starter

My computer was recently automatically updated by MS. The updates took a really time to install. Prior to the updates I had no issues with backing up/exporting .pst files in Outlook 2010. Post update I can no longer back up/export a .pst file. Every time I attempt it Outlook freezes and give me "not responding" errors. It never comes back from freezing and has to manually ended. I never had these issues prior to the update.

Also, I noticed that it appears to be creating additional "outlook data files."

The other problem is that the search function is now slow as molasses on a semi-hot southern day. Prior to the updates there were no issues with searching email. Now, it takes forever.

Help, please!

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Try running the office repair option as first step

3. pookie2017

I ran office repair and rebooted. But I was only able to backup one mailbox before it started doing the same thing again. It either freezes up or just doesn't do anything. I ran office repair again and it would not back up at all. It is continuing to create additional "outlook data files."

Instant search is fixed and appears to work fine.

Thanks for any help.

4. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    You can find the current location of the PST files in Outlook 2010 by following these steps below or you can go directly to the location below if you want to make a backup.

Then I would recommend uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook. It should not cause you to lose your existing files but it is always good to have a backup of your files.

1. Start Outlook. 2010
    2. Click the File tab in the Ribbon, and then click the Info tab on the menu.
    3. Click the Account Settings tab.
    4. Click Account Settings again.
    5. Click Data Files.
    User data(Your account name)/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook/

5. pookie2017

I know this is a dumb question but...you can just copy the file/mailbox by opening it from Account Settings/Data Files and make a copy? That's way quicker than trying to export each mailbox.

If I uninstall Outlook and reinstall, will I have to re-set up every mailbox and import the mail back into each mailbox?

6. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  7. pookie2017

I can't export via that method. Will making a copy of the mailbox from Account Settings/Data files be the same as backing by exporting the .pst files?

8. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    That is why I provided the first methods. Just go to the location and make a copy of the exisiting file. You will have to unhide hidden ffiles/folders to see them

9. pookie2017

It is not possible to back up files via this method. It results in error messages stating the file is locked.

10. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Go to this location and copy the files to another location. You will have to stop any outlook tasks that are running via task manager or start computer in Safe mode and perform the copy operation

User data(Your account name)/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook/

11. pookie2017

If the MS updates are the cause of my issues, wouldn't rolling back the update fix the issue?

I was able to copy the .pst of one mailbox but it isn't the right size when I compare it to previous backups.

12. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    The size of the pst files can be different depending on what was currently in your mailbox at the current time it was backed up. Did you verify it was the correct .pst file?

It is possible that the Windows update is the cause, but it is more likely the problem is with Outlook. Did you try completely removing Outlook and reinstalling?

13. pookie2017

It was the correct file but it is the wrong size. It should be near the same size as previous backups but it's not.

No, I didn't remove/reinstall it b/c I was trying to backup my data.

14. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Ok. I would recommend backing up the complete Microsoft Outlook folder so you know you have everything backed up or better yet make an image backup of your computer

15. pookie2017

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1201650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice