1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't backup to external hard drive, or anything else!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Magnus1956, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus1956

Magnus1956 Thread Starter

Hi. I have a Lenovo 3000 laptop which works well reading info from any external USB pluged in device, ie my Nokia N95 phone, floopy disc drive, hard disc drive,etc. But when I want to transfer files to the devices, I have no luck at all. I have read the 'Dummies book' and just don't seem to get the pages that are supposed to come up. For example: I wanted to backup to an external hard drive, I should have a choice of where I want to save it to, but I only get the internal CD burner. Same goes for my phone. I get all the info from it, but can't pit anything in it. I tried bluetooth etc., but still only one way traffic! I've checked that the devices are installed correctly etc., but must be doinng something wrong. Can anyone help please?

2. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    What messages (if any) are you receiving when the copy or move attempt is made?

What method do you use i.e. drag 'n drop from one device to the other?

Some applications automatically default to the CD Burner as the target device as that is where they think you will want to put it.

Is there a small black down arrow beside the burner name or a browse button that will let you dig into the PC to find other devices to back up to.

It can be pretty tricky copying/moving to some external devices such as mobiles, PDA's etc. as they ofteh have their own little ways of doing it.

Some of them use the import/export technique that usually comes under FILE on the application itself when opened.

Can you copy/move from one folder on the HDD to another without any problems and is it only the external ones you are having difficulty with.

On my owm mobile and PDA, there is no way the normal copy procedure works such as using My Computer to drag 'n drop files to the ext devices.

A bit more detail here would help in terms of the exact steps you are taking to try to complete the copy/move procedures.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!