1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Boot and can't get past Blue Screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ggtande, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ggtande

ggtande Thread Starter

My computer (Dell Dimension 4550, XP Home) locked up & had to turn it off. Upon restart I get part way into boot and get the black & white screen with the 5 Windows start options. All options lead to a blue screen with the following Stop information:

0x0000007B(0xF8B4D528,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I can find no way out of this screen other than turning off the computer. I am not technical but can follow directions. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Did you gey any CDs with Operating System on it.

3. ggtande

ggtande Thread Starter

I got 3 CDs with the computer: a Drivers and Utilities CD with device drivers, Diagnostics and utilities, and Computer documentation on it, an application CD with Roxio on it and another Application CD with antivirus, support software, multimedia software, and Internet software. I have no CD labeled 'Operating System'

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Do you have one called Recovery Disk

5. ggtande

ggtande Thread Starter

I looked one last place and found 'Operating System': Reinstallation CD. If this disk is useds will I lose any apps or data? Thanx.

6. bonk

bonk Banned

7. ggtande

ggtande Thread Starter

Your recommendation worked perfectly...thank you very much. I think the repair must have changed the settings on my Wireless G card as my signal strength is now very low. Hey, a new challenge! Thanks again.

8. ggtande

ggtande Thread Starter

I've been attempting to get to the Internet and neither my wireless connection nor my Ethernet connection can get thru. Did the repair cause that and what can I do to get those connections working again. Thanks.

9. bonk

bonk Banned

You will have to setup a connection like you did at first....did you get CD from you ISP provider?

10. ggtande

ggtande Thread Starter

I got two CDs from MSN, one which says 'Put this CD in first'. It's a Qwest DSL installation CD. The other is MSN premium version 1.0. Am I starting over like I'm a new subscriber? Thanks.

11. bonk

bonk Banned

Not really but your PC isn't set up after a repair install.....you need to see if you need Windows Updates also.

12. ggtande

ggtande Thread Starter

OK, I've been advised by my computer to get service pack 2.

13. ggtande

ggtande Thread Starter

Tried to reinstall DSL software from Qwest, selecting wireless. Qwest prompt said they don't support wireless and advised me to follow my wireless card installation. I inserted that CD and it did respond at all. I tried to activate that CD from 'My Computer' and the browsing flashlight just hung up when I tried. I then tried installing DSL software from Qwest using both USB and Ethernet setups and neither would work, the install program just looped back to the screen where I was asked to choose the install type. Seems like my repair did not complete successfully. Any thoughts on my next step? Thanks.

14. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you gone to Control Panel and click on Network Connections and create a new connection and follow the prompts

15. ggtande

ggtande Thread Starter

I got the Ethernet connection working via the Qwest DSL setup disk. I did the Windows update to service pack 2. I was considering my next move regarding restoring my wireless connection for this machine when the blue screen returned. I again tried a repair with the Windows disk and it won't boot after the repair completes. I still get the blue screen, over and over. I've tried every diagnostic test on the Dell CD and passed them all. I am not sure what to do next. Thank you for your patient assistance.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/510345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice