1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Boot - any advice appreciated !!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by petez, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petez

petez Thread Starter

Hi

I suspect that my system may be past saving but I thought I would post just in case …..

Running XP Pro (SP 3)on a Toshiba laptop. Mistakenly opened a link on an email and got redirected to a weird site – closed down the machine as quickly as possible. Tried to then reboot but went into ‘blue’ screen … restart loop.

Laptop won’t start in any mode - safe, last known good, etc and gets as far as a blue screen before it stops (and then reboots) after saying Unmountable Boot Volume.

Can run from CD drive and have run Ubuntu and have found all my main files and recovered them to an external Hard Drive but when I tried running a Recovery CD I downloaded it won’t go into Recovery mode and says that it can’t find the Hard Drive !! (Having got the original Recovery CD). Have also tried some fixes re corrupt registry (system32) but no good.

I know I could do a clean reinstall but haven’t got the product keys for Office, etc so would prefer to try to recover if possible – any ideas or suggestions would be really appreciated

If I’m in the wrong part of the forum then mods please move

Thanks ……

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    Could you clarify how many Recovery CDs you have, and is one the original from when you bought the machine?

Thanks.

Richard

:)

3. petez

petez Thread Starter

Hi
    The laptop is an OEM machine and it didn’t come with a Recovery CD. Tried one from my wife’s machine (Toshiba with XP Pro) but it just got to ‘Recovery Utility’ but with a blank screen. The other two CD’s I have tried have been downloaded off the Web and burnt to a CD (both give the same result as described in my original post). Is this where I’m going wrong?

Thanks

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

5. petez

petez Thread Starter

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that, so my apologies

I had thought I had given sufficent information - what additional information would you need ?

Thanks

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Model number, mainboard and revision, CPU, graphics adapter, anything that would allow us to find specific information on it.

The TSG information tool provides the basics which is why we ask beginners to use it.

7. petez

petez Thread Starter

Hi

Laptop is Toshiba U600 running XP with SP3. Can't access other info as it won't boot.

Thanks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032325

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice