1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot anything

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bcroadkill, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bcroadkill

bcroadkill Thread Starter

I have decided to put my computer through the routine format/re-install process as it was getting pretty slow. However, I can't seem to boot anything on power on no matter what options and methods I try. My boot order is in check; i have tried booting with both CD and USB. It recognises that there is something to boot, as I get a little message saying

Boot from CD/DVD:

yet I can't do anything and it goes away and continues start up. This is very inconvenient - does anyone have any ideas as to what may be going wrong?

2. bcroadkill

I have decided to put my computer through the routine format/re-install process as it was getting pretty slow. However, I can't seem to boot anything on power on no matter what options and methods I try. My boot order is in check; i have tried booting with both CD and USB. It recognises that there is something to boot, as I get a little message saying

Boot from CD/DVD:

yet I can't do anything and it goes away and continues start up. This is very inconvenient - does anyone have any ideas as to what may be going wrong?

3. pip22

pip22

When booting from a Windows installation disc, you should get a prompt saying "Press any key to boot from CD"
    If you ignore that message and do nothing, the installation disc will be ignored and the system will boot from the hard drive.

4. bcroadkill

Instead of that message I get 'Boot from CD/DVD:'
    No input does anything.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    are you sure the CD/DVD is an actuall bootable media - or maybe damaged -
    can you try on another PC making a bootable DVD - something like ubuntu

also has a USB option to boot with as well - instructions for DVD and USB below

------------------------------------------------------------------------

UBUNTU Stand Alone CD
    It may be possible to boot from another Operating System
    This will at least test the Hardware

If you have another PC with a cdwriter and spare CD
    goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ISO http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

You can also run from a USB device now - if the Machine supports booting off a USB Stick
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

full details are here (Note this is for version 9 - so the start up options are slightly different )
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

click on the image "download ubuntu"
    Select a location
    then begin download
    Save the file onto your PC – remember where you saved it – so you can find it again to create the image bootable CD.

You do NOT copy the ISO file onto a CD - you have to use the ISO to create a bootable CD
    The CD creator software you have on the PC may have an option to create an image from an ISO
    If not - use this free program http://www.imgburn.com/

When the UBUNTU CD boots - you will see a screen - with Language on the left panel and two option images labelled

== > Try ubuntu
    == > Install ubuntu

You can try Ubuntu without making any changes to your computer, directly from this CD

Use OPTION 1 "Try ubunto without any change to your computer" ONLY this option this will run from the CD and not install onto your harddrive - be careful, if you do install onto the PC - you will wipe the data and software OFF your hard drive.., so repeat only use option 1

Now you should see a UBUNTU desktop
    This at least proves the main parts of the PC are working and that the drive is bootable

------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. valis

valis Moderator

merging duplicates, please do not create duplicates for the same issue.

7. bcroadkill

I tried installing another Linux distribution earlier. I can safely say that it is not a problem with the media. Something is physically wrong inside the computer, I have suspicions that it may be the motherboard. Is there any information I can provide you guys that will determine this?

It may also be worth noting I have two options for boot priorities, one typically in BIOS settings and another in the option screen during boot.

I'm not familiar with BIOS workings, but is it possible to download fixes or settings for my current motherboard and flash it in some way? If this is truly the root of the problem.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what happened when you tried to boot a virtual disc ?

did that dvd boot ?

9. bcroadkill

Boot a virtual disk? I'm sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

10. bcroadkill

bump

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the ubuntu info i posted - explains how to run the software from the CD without touching the harddrive - so you can run on the PC without effecting the harddrive

wanted to see if it at least booted the DVD - if not what error message dud you get ?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029360

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice