1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant boot at all. Blinking white dash on black screen?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ishamm, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

My computer, which was running windows 10 without much issue, is now completely unusable for reasons beyond my comprehension. After bios messages I now only have a blinking white dash on a black screen.

I have tried various repairs, with the windows recovery usb. All automatic repairs fail due to the disk "being locked", so i have tried a few guides which involved bcdboot commands which have failed to fix anything. One command was bcdboot g: which gave an error like failed copying boot files (i forget the exact wording) .

Could some kind soul point me towards a fix, im tearing my hair out! Many thanks!

2. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    The best fix, for the moment, is a reinstall. It is free and still in the testing stage.

3. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

I have tried but choosing install fails, it asks me to first boot into windows then run the installer, which I cant do

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice