Can't boot back into windows after demo-ing Ubuntu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ii.idunno.ii

Hello and thanks for reading,

So, I set off to try getting back into Linux after a near 10 year hiatus from any heavy computer tinkering. I installed it onto a 32gb PNY USB stick using Rufus. It was the latest release from the official Ubuntu Web page.

I plugged in the drive and got to my bios first setting the drive as the boot priority. Saved and exited the bios. Upon launching I was prompted to install or trial the OS. I selected INSTALL and did not commit to any installation. I primarily browsed the options looking for the dual boot installation option but couldn't find it so clicked *quit*. Ubuntu took a few seconds and reverted straight to the desktop. I played around for a few minutes installing apps and delving into the settings menu.

I went to the powerdown menu and selected REBOOT, I was prompted to remove boot device and restart. I removed the drive and pressed enter as instructed. The computer power cycled as expected but before the Windows loading circle appeared I was greeted with this message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

I have pressed many keys but the message just repeats, I have made sure the correct drive is top of the boot priority list along with the windows boot uefi (tried all combinations of order) with no avail.

I booted into Ubuntu again and checked the "other places" area in the file manager and all of the drives show up and contain all the Windows, user and personal files that were on my drives before. I simply CANNOT get Windows to even try to boot.

I have followed half a dozen YouTube videos suggesting options but none so far have been successful.

Not to rush anyone but this is my only computer and I have college work to do 🤦‍♂️🤞

Thank you

Kind regards

Kyle

plodr

Liz
I plugged in the drive and got to my bios first setting the drive as the boot priority. Saved and exited the bios.
Have you gone back into the BIOS and undone this change?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online