1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot computer in safe mode

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Chloe50621, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chloe50621

Chloe50621 Thread Starter

I have a Windows 98SE emachines computer. I used to have a Norton AntiVirus and Norton Firewall on it but they stopped supporting Win. 98 (I removed them both) so I thought that I would try a free anti virus (Avast) and a free firewall (Outpost). I downloaded them now I can't boot up my computer into Windows. I have tried holding down the CTRL key while it turns on & it tells all that is on the computer with the white words & black screen. It says:

Disk I/O Error
    Replace the disk & press any key
    Seaching for boot record from CD Rom-Not Found
    Seaching for Boot Record from Floppy - Not Found
    Seaching for Boot Record from IDE-O...OK

I put in the start up floppy disk that I made and it says:
    1. Normal
    2. Logged (\Bootlog
    3. Safe Mode

I chose Safe Mode
    Then it says Windows is bypassing your start up files
    Microsoft Windows 98

A:\>

Then it just sits there for hours. I don't know what to type in the A prompt to make it go into safe mode. I want to get into the safe mode to remove the Anti virus which I believe is causing all my problems.
    Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Thank You! Chole

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Are you sure, CTRL does anything during bootup?
    I suggest you remove the floppy, then restart computer, and hold down F8 after the BIOS summary is displayed. This should take you to the windows boot menu.

3. Chloe50621

Chloe50621 Thread Starter

I have tried holding down F8 during booting up also tapping F8 but it does the same thing as holding down CTRL key.

This is what I get:

Disk I/O Error
    Replace the disk & press any key
    Seaching for boot record from CD Rom-Not Found
    Seaching for Boot Record from Floppy - Not Found
    Seaching for Boot Record from IDE-O...OK

Disk I/O Error
    Replace the disk & press any key.
    _

4. Augie65

Augie65

Try method 2 or method 3 here.

5. jm100dm

jm100dm

The first thing that I would try is to restore to a previous restore point prior to the day you made those changes. When you get to the command prompt type in scanreg/restore then press the enter key which will get you into system restore. Select a date prior to your problem. Restore then restart your computer. Hope this fixes it for you

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice