1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jasvon, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jasvon

Jasvon Thread Starter

....and have NO boot disks. Everything has been working fine with no problems whatsoever and then today when I put the computer on, I got NOTHING! I couldn't even do an F8 to boot in safe mode.

Any and all adivse would be greatly appreciated!

~Jas

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

By "nothing", do you mean a blank screen, no sign of life, dead machine? How can you tell if it is turned on?

3. Jasvon

Jasvon Thread Starter

Yes, black screen. There is a light on the keyboard and the computer itself lights up and I can hear it working. The monitor goes to sleep for lack of input.

Thanks, Jas

4. TooBad

TooBad

Can you try another monitor or video card? If you "hear" it working, do you mean you hear the fan, the HD accessing? Is this on-board video? It appears to be a video card problem if the monitor has the "No input" message.

5. Jasvon

Jasvon Thread Starter

The computer sounds/looks (lights on computer) like it's doing it's normal cycling through the drives before it boots, but nothing is showing on the screen. I'll try a different monitor, but the monitor seems to be OK because the screen "digital/analog" comes on as it normally does before it boots.

I'm not sure what you mean by "on-board video." This is a desktop computer running XP Pro. You say this may be a video card problem. Is this something I can replace?

The computer was running fine with no problems at all, but I did notice the last time I shut down, it seemed to take a long time and I just shut the monitor off figuring it would shut itself down. When I went to boot it the following morning, I got nothing but a black screen.

Thanks, Jas

6. Jasvon

Jasvon Thread Starter

I just searched through some posts on this site and read to tap the "delete" key while booting the computer and it worked. It booted right up! Yahoo!!!! Should I do a system restore or try to find why I had this problem? Or do you think everything will be OK?

Thanks, Jas

7. Jasvon

Jasvon Thread Starter

An error window is now popping up:

rstui.exe - Bad Image

The application or DLL C:\Windows\system32\iehlp32.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

What does this mean and what should I do? I'm running a complete scan on my computer now and hoping it fixes it. If not, can I just delete the file? If so, what file do I delete - rstui.exe or iehlp32.dll - or both?

As I'm sure you can tell, I'm not computer savvy at all.

Thanks, Jas

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

That is System Restore and cannot be deleted. That message usually does not bode well, and you may start getting it for other files.

Run complete antivirus and antimalware scans, chkdsk /r, and record any further error messages.

What exactly did you do to get it booted?

9. Jasvon

Jasvon Thread Starter

I just tapped on the delete key as someone else here suggested to someone who couldn't boot their computer and it worked. I have Windows Live OneCare and am running a complete scan now.

Thanks, Jas

10. Jasvon

Jasvon Thread Starter

BTW, how do I do chkdsk /r?

11. Jasvon

Jasvon Thread Starter

OK, I just rebooted my computer and I'm back to the black screen and tapping on delete doesn't help this time.

It appears this problem has to do with a Service Pack 3 update by Microsoft.

I read to change the Registry so the Source Path would point to
    c:/I386 so when I did a SFC /scannow it would automatically fix any corrupted files. I had to reboot the compter after changing the Source Path but now it won't boot up again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jas

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

No, it has nothing to do with SP3 since there is no software loaded when Del is pressed. It's a hardware problem. test memory and the hard drive.

13. Jasvon

Jasvon Thread Starter

Thanks, but I can't test anything because I can't boot the computer. I even bought PowerSuite 2008 which claims it can boot any computer, but nada!

The computer looks/sounds like it's working and it cycles through the drives like it normally does before starting, yet there's no input to the monitor. It's not the monitor because I connected a laptop to it and it worked fine.

I don't know if it is set-up to boot from the CD drive, but I can see the drive is reading PS2008 because it lights up. PS does boot up my laptop, so I know that's working.

Thanks, Jas

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

15. Jasvon

Jasvon Thread Starter

Thanks so much for trying, but I've made about 6 CDs today from different websites and all had the I386-WIN51 & WIN511C files on them and not one of them worked. They all worked on my laptop by telling me to press any key if I wanted to boot from the CD, which I did not do on the laptop. None are working on my desktop, though. It's weird because I can see the CD drive is reading it because it lights up and stays lit for a few moments, but no boot.

This is so frustrating because I don't want to buy another computer when I think this one can be fixed. I had no problems with it at all until I got that error message of a file not being a valid Windows image.

~ Jas

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice